PDA

View Full Version : spotted vs psychedelic mandarin

Timbor
04/01/2010, 04:20 PM
Hi there,

I was thinking of getting a mandarin for my 65 gal. reef now that it's been running for a couple years. I figure I should have lots of food for him, as I have lots of liverock, a fuge in my 20 sump, as well as a couple inches of sand. Other fish I have are a small hippo tang and a pair of firefish.

Any thoughts on the hardiness of spotted vs psychedelic mandarinfish?

Thanks,

Tim

piscivorous
04/01/2010, 04:30 PM
It is my understanding that if you can get them to eat, both are equally hardy (or difficult, however you want to look at it).

divewsharks
04/01/2010, 04:34 PM
no real difference in hardiness, its more which coloration do you like better. scooter blennies are also dragonets if you like that coloration better.

Timbor
04/01/2010, 04:41 PM
Ok, good to know. I've heard some people say that spotted mandarins take to prepared foods easier than the psychedelic ones. If they are pretty much equal, I think I like the psychedelic's colouring better.

Imzadi
04/01/2010, 05:22 PM
I would love to get one to eat... and I got a Sand-Sifting Goby... so the natural Mandarin food would be in competition...

I saw a Red one once... it was AMAZING looking!

divewsharks
04/01/2010, 05:26 PM
I would love to get one to eat... and I got a Sand-Sifting Goby... so the natural Mandarin food would be in competition...

I saw a Red one once... it was AMAZING looking!

Mine spends next to no time searching the sand for food. he is all about the nooks and crannies of all the rock.

supposedly ORA will be selling captive bred dragonets which eat prepared foods:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820955

Imzadi
04/01/2010, 05:36 PM
Mine spends next to no time searching the sand for food. he is all about the nooks and crannies of all the rock.

supposedly ORA will be selling captive bred dragonets which eat prepared foods:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820955

Oh, true... so did mine... but the overall bug population is a fraction what it would be without the SS goby.

But the ORA news is VERY cool! I would love a pre-trained red! That would be amazing! It's the only thing keeping me from them, one of my fav fish!!