PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here & a new 55 setup

Nemo4Life
04/01/2010, 06:20 PM
Let me start by sharing a little background info on how I got the tank. Well, I had a 125 that was set up as freshwater and I had no intentions of going saltwater. But then, a friend of mine sold me a 35 gal hex tank/stand and filter for $75. So, I decided to make it a sort of a nano project. I was gonna have a Lemon peel Angel, 2 Clowns, Blue Damsel, and a Purple Pseduochromis. Then I was planning on buying a MH pendant and have some softies and LPS and call it a day. Well, as you all know a 35 is just a teaser, and before I was even able to get the MH pendant(thank God), I decided to go bigger. I was gonna make the 125 I have into a reef-but after much thought and going back and forth-I decided that a 125 would be too much on my time and wallet. So I decided to sell the 125 and get a 65 from Glass Cages. Well I called Glass Cages and told them I wanted the 65 gal, but was informed that they had stopped taking orders for the April 3rd truck and that it would be 6 months or so before they were back in the area-or I could have had it delivered by freight($128 for the tank but $165 FREIGHT). So I decided against it and went looking for another tank. Well I really found a deal, and from who else but the same friend that sold me the 35 hex (oh, BTW-he also sold me the 125 ) Anyway, that is how I came to have a 55 now instead of the 125 or 65. Oh, and I still have the 35 hex-that will be my hospital tank after I get the 55 set up.

Now on to the description of the deal of the century(as far as I am concerned).

55 gallon tank / stand & canopy / overflow box / Top Fathom TF100A Skimmer / 2-Rio 2500 pumps / Wet Dry / Canopy has a 4 bulb 4 ft VHO lighting retro'd into it. All this for......$100 WOW!!

here are some pics

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac57/nemo4life2010/IMG_0010.jpg
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac57/nemo4life2010/IMG_0012.jpg

Ok, got her up and running today. Went out this morning and got all the hoses, clamps, return nozzle, and VHO lamps (Thanks Paul-Advance Aquatics in Belmont NC). Also, got some dry LR and added it.

here it is being filled-all plumbing done. I simply used the wet dry and overflow box, then used one pump from sump to skimmer-which empties straight back into the sump. Then used the other pump as return from sump straight to tank.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac57/nemo4life2010/IMG_0014.jpg

I took out one set of the VHO's and put in a set of 55w PC's I had. So my lighting is 2x110w VHO 10k and 2x55w 50/50 PC's. I think that should be plenty on a 55 and be able to keep about anything. What do you guys think?

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac57/nemo4life2010/IMG_0019.jpg

Close up of the wet dry and skimmer plumbed in.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac57/nemo4life2010/IMG_0018.jpg

Close up of the skimmer already skimming a little (Top Fathom TF100A)

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac57/nemo4life2010/IMG_0017.jpg

Finally, FTS. I need to still either paint the back of the tank or just get a black background to hide the overflow box, hoses, and wires. But you can get the general idea. Can hardly wait till I can add my first coral.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac57/nemo4life2010/IMG_0015.jpg

Let me know what you guys think, I would appreciate any comments, praise, or letting me know where I screwed up at. Thanks

strike2867
04/01/2010, 06:53 PM
Looks very nice, I wish I had a canopy like that. The thermometer seems like it could go into the sump. Also it appears your Skimmer return is set pretty high above the water, creating a lot of splashing. Also those metal clips could be worrisome.

Nemo4Life
04/01/2010, 07:55 PM
the thermometer was already on the tank, I may pull it off and put one on the sump. Yea, I just need to cut a small piece of hose to extend the skimmer return. As far as the metal clamps-they are stainless, so no leeching.

strike2867
04/01/2010, 08:13 PM
Also if you'd like keeping corals, I'd suggest pulling out those bioballs.

WhoDey64
04/01/2010, 09:35 PM
I love the enthusiasm and just want to point out a few things that are purely my opinions, take it for what thats worth. Just trying to help you avoid the pitfalls that I fell into.

I would highly recommend like Strike has to pull the bio balls out, you will not be able to control your nitrates with them in place. Do some research on Refugiums and start one in place of the bio balls.

What is your substrate, I cant tell from the pictures but it looks large like crush coral, if this is the case I would recommend going to a smaller grain for much the same reasons as pulling the bio balls.

Imho, paint the background, seeing wiring and plumbing kills any reef to me.

Relocate the ballast, they will corrode at a fast clip when located on the back of the canopy like that, again this is just my opinion.

I would also recommend draining out the tap water (assumption given the water hose in the pic) and invest in an RO-DI unit. You can pick them up fairly cheap on ebay if you are on a budget. I picked up a cheapo pure water club 75 gpd double DI a year ago for 80 bucks and its still producing 0 TDS water. Tap water will only cause negative results due to the heavy metals, phosphates and nitrates.

Good luck, you are off to a good start simply by asking questions here on Reef Central!

WhoDey64
04/01/2010, 09:41 PM
Also, contrary to popular belief stainless steel does rust in its own way and most off the shelf items are made from a lower grade stainless 304 stainless which has a high ferric oxide content. Check out your Local fish store and see if they carry any plastic hose clamps.

Nemo4Life
04/01/2010, 09:46 PM
yea, after the cycle is complete I was planning on removing the bio balls and use some LR rubble. Right now, a RO unit is not in my budget-I do plan to get one ASAP tho. I actually was gonna paint the background black, just forgot the paint today while I was running around getting everything else. I will within the next few days either paint it or get a black background. I really dont know where else to mount the ballast that wont put them in just as much chance to get sprayed or water leaked on them. Any suggestions? Thanks for the comments and info.

strike2867
04/02/2010, 08:57 AM
I love the enthusiasm and just want to point out a few things that are purely my opinions, take it for what thats worth. Just trying to help you avoid the pitfalls that I fell into.

I would highly recommend like Strike has to pull the bio balls out, you will not be able to control your nitrates with them in place. Do some research on Refugiums and start one in place of the bio balls.

What is your substrate, I cant tell from the pictures but it looks large like crush coral, if this is the case I would recommend going to a smaller grain for much the same reasons as pulling the bio balls.

Imho, paint the background, seeing wiring and plumbing kills any reef to me.

Relocate the ballast, they will corrode at a fast clip when located on the back of the canopy like that, again this is just my opinion.

I would also recommend draining out the tap water (assumption given the water hose in the pic) and invest in an RO-DI unit. You can pick them up fairly cheap on ebay if you are on a budget. I picked up a cheapo pure water club 75 gpd double DI a year ago for 80 bucks and its still producing 0 TDS water. Tap water will only cause negative results due to the heavy metals, phosphates and nitrates.

Good luck, you are off to a good start simply by asking questions here on Reef Central!

How much do you charge for reefing lesson?

Imzadi
04/02/2010, 09:06 AM
How much do you charge for reefing lesson?

:sad2: That's outta place.

strike2867
04/02/2010, 09:08 AM
:sad2: That's outta place.

I was saying he knew his ****, and I could use his help with my 55.

Imzadi
04/02/2010, 09:18 AM
I was saying he knew his ****, and I could use his help.

Ah, if it was sincere, then I appologize.

This is like a resource pool... everyone in! lol

strike2867
04/02/2010, 09:19 AM
Ah, if it was sincere, then I appologize.

This is like a resource pool... everyone in! lol

No worries.

travis32
04/02/2010, 10:22 AM
Hmm, my metal hose clamps are much the same. I'll have to consider replacing those with plastic too eventuallyt hen.. I don't see any signs of rust in 2 months. I suppose if it's visible it's too late.

If you're doing a reef, maybe it's just the picture, but you look light on rock to me. Looks around 40-50 lbs.. How much rock did you put in?

Also avoid the mistake I just learned about this week, use a refractometer to measure your SG. My deep six swing arm was ..005. Pretty significant in a reef..

I think your setup looks good. Where'd you get the canopy? I would consider one if not too costly.

Nemo4Life
04/02/2010, 11:16 AM
I dont like a tank full of rock, plus I have to leave room for the corals to grow:D

The canopy came with the tank setup, but it is a homemade one. You can build one for a 55 gal for about $40. Pretty simple, just build a box for your lights that will fit your tank and then just cut it in half and add a hinge.