PDA

View Full Version : Seagrasses: Biology, Ecology and Conservation Larkum, Orth and Duarte

Plantbrain
04/01/2010, 10:52 PM
I got 2 of these books, hard to read both at the same time:fun5:
Thus I have one for sale, I dunno, 75$ shipped.
It's an excellent text for most everything you'd want to know about Seagrasses.

I posted it here as both a good reference and for those truly interested in marine plants will want to put it on their must have list.

If the mods think it demands to be in the market place for sale sections, feel free.

Regards,
Tom Barr

philter4
04/02/2010, 05:15 AM
I got 2 of these books, hard to read both at the same time:fun5:
Thus I have one for sale, I dunno, 75$ shipped.
It's an excellent text for most everything you'd want to know about Seagrasses.

I posted it here as both a good reference and for those truly interested in marine plants will want to put it on their must have list.

If the mods think it demands to be in the market place for sale sections, feel free.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I have the book as well, and love it, there are very few good books that specialize in saltwater aquatic plants, the ones that I have are the Hawaii Press native algae book, the two books by the Littlers on Caribbean plants, along with their new Pacific species book, and the seagrass book that Tom has for sale. All of these volumes are fairly expensive, in fact one of the Littlers books is out of print and I can't find it for under $100, new when I purchased it the cost was under $20, Although the Hawaiian book is under $40 if you buy it directly from University of Hawaii, but they are also all worth the money.

Plantbrain
04/02/2010, 01:05 PM
I have the book as well, and love it, there are very few good books that specialize in saltwater aquatic plants, the ones that I have are the Hawaii Press native algae book, the two books by the Littlers on Caribbean plants, along with their new Pacific species book, and the seagrass book that Tom has for sale. All of these volumes are fairly expensive, in fact one of the Littlers books is out of print and I can't find it for under $100, new when I purchased it the cost was under $20, Although the Hawaiian book is under $40 if you buy it directly from University of Hawaii, but they are also all worth the money.

All excellent texts.

The Littler books are a must have for macro algae.
This is specific to marine angiosperms.

More in depth vs a pic/Id type of book.

I'd use it as a text book if I taught a course on the subject.

Regards,
Tom Barr

philter4
04/03/2010, 11:33 AM
I just remembered another book I have, The world Atlas of Seagrasses, by Green and Short, pretty good book, and I got it from Labyrinth books for only $16 with shipping, regular price is around $90. It covers every species of true seagrass, with color ID drawings, underwater photos, range maps, and there are sections on the environment with reguards to fish and inverts you would find in each of the grass communities. Probably worth the full price, but on sale I couldn't resist the purchase and I'm glad I did.

Samala
04/10/2010, 10:14 PM
That Atlas and the text Tom mentions are my bibles! Definitely good to have on hand if you are going to get serious about marine plants in your aquariums as food for thought and research. Hopefully as this part of the hobby grows we'll have more to say from our own work too. :)

>Sarah

Plantbrain
04/11/2010, 01:15 PM
That Atlas and the text Tom mentions are my bibles! Definitely good to have on hand if you are going to get serious about marine plants in your aquariums as food for thought and research. Hopefully as this part of the hobby grows we'll have more to say from our own work too. :)

>Sarah

I think seagrasses will become more widely grown in the future.
More so than the seaweeds, but they will expand as well.

This could be good in some ways, but bad in many others(invasive species introductions). Most of it occurs via ships, oysters etc.

A few cases blame hobbyist, so we have evidence to say we should be very careful and respectful of the very places we love and care about in nature.

Vote for conservation, protection and care.
You got enough $ for this hobby(the money pit that it is really is), so you cannot say you cannot afford that:beer:

Still for sale if anyone wants a copy, if you are student, I'd let it go for say 65$ shipped.

You can actually look up the light compensation points(min levels) for various species(nice table on 327), all sorts of good ideas and considerations.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Octoshark
04/11/2010, 02:15 PM
Vote for conservation, protection and care.

If you sign up for the Monterey Bay Aquarium newsletter they will occasionally email you pre-filled forms addressed to certain politicians involved with certain ocean conservation issues. All you have to do is fill out your information and submit it to have it sent to the politician (only takes 30 seconds of your time).

I'm sure other aquariums/organizations do this as well.

Plantbrain
04/18/2010, 05:22 PM
Pending

Tom