PDA

View Full Version : Blenny sp. ?? ID please

Machiel
04/02/2010, 08:02 AM
Dear RC members,

This tuesday we have bought a fish at our LFS which came in as Ecsenius blue special. We doubt it is an Ecsenius sp. but we are allmost certain it is some kind of Blenny. Can someone help us to ID this species because we are very curious about the scientific name of this fish.

The enclosed photo's provides some details about the shape and colors (which are the true colors btw).
Offcourse we can provide more info on request :)

Thanks in advance ;)

Machiel
04/02/2010, 08:17 AM
An adition to the previous post: this fish is kept with several other Blenny species like:
2 Enchelyurus flavipes (no, not the E. bicolors), 1 Ecsenius melarchus, 1 Ecsenius bimaculatus, 1 Ecsenius lividanalis, 1 Atrosalarias fuscus which colors recently changed to adult (black/brownish with a transparent tail) and 1 Blenniella cyanostigma. All these blenny's live in peace with each other.

joetbs
04/02/2010, 08:36 AM
Its a blanquillo, look up Malacanthus. I think there's only 2 fish in the genus.

Machiel
04/02/2010, 08:43 AM
Thank you so much for this ID, I didn't even think about a Tilefish... :) It can get pretty large so I think this isn't a good addition to our tank, do you?