PDA

View Full Version : About to become obsessed!

RFD4
04/02/2010, 08:34 AM
I am relatively new to reefing (1 year) and love the SPS tanks that I am seeing through the threads.

I want to try my hand at SPS but do not know if my current system can sustain them.

34G Solana
150W Sunpod with 14K Phoenix
Stock skimmer
RO system giving me 5 ppm
MP 10 but have a few Koralia 1's if needed

Parm

Sal -1.025
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Ammonia -0
Ph - 8.2
Nitrite - 0
Cal - 480 ppm
Alk -11
temp 77-78

What kind of SPS are good beginner SPS?
I assume that direct flow in front of the power-head is preferred
Placement high in the tank

Any good books I can buy?

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Rick55555
04/02/2010, 09:39 AM
A few beginner SPS include Montipora, Green Slimer, Digitata and Bird's nest.

As for flow, I would not place them directly in front of the power head. That could damage their flesh. Aim for random, turbulent flow.

You may want to reduce your nitrate. I like 0-5 ppm. A water change or two should solve that.

You ought to get a few aquacultured frags and see how well they do. Also, be sure to dip your corals to avoid unwanted pests.

Rick

losthere
04/02/2010, 09:46 AM
Do not buy any sps yet. You need to do some research first. Far too many beginner questions. I would try searching this site, and looking in the beginner forums. sps like random flow not direct flow, they do not like being in front of a powerhead getting blasted by direct flow. I have sps on my sand bed, so they do not need to be placed high, it all depends on the individual coral. Cal, alk, and TDS are high. What is a stock skimmer? Hope this helps with your very open ended question.

RFD4
04/02/2010, 11:49 AM
Thank you for your input and suggestions sorry if the questions were to open ended.

THe stock skimmer is the stock skimmer that comes with the Solana- I have not heard of any good skimmers that are worth the price that fit the tank without modifications.

Are there any good books?

I am going to purchase a small frag or Green Slimer place it in the mid range of the tank where strong flow is created but not direct.