PDA

View Full Version : Is this Ich?

reddogf5
04/02/2010, 11:24 AM
I have a fire fish in quarantine, he's been there for three weeks. Today I noticed something that looks like a little white lump on him. Can anyone identify if this is ich, or some other disease? I seems very happy, especially the last week when he seemed to become comfortable in the tank and started hanging around everywhere rather than hiding, and he eats well.
The white lump is on his right side, sort of visible in the pictures attached - sorry for the poor quality, my camera doesn't like to focus on stuff in the water.

wegotjs
04/02/2010, 11:32 AM
Hard to tell but I always find it easier to find the ich on the darker part of the body. Really look at the tail area on the fire fish and see if there are more white dot's.

reddogf5
04/03/2010, 08:16 AM
The first bump has disappeared, but he has had two more since yesterday, one on the left side of his body which is now gone, and one on the right side near his head.
Is there a good site with information to help me figure out what this is, if anything?
Thanks.

Recty
04/03/2010, 02:58 PM
Wetwebmedia.com is pretty good, you can search through fish diseases there.

For what it's worth, it doesnt look like ich to me, it's too long.

bwomble
04/03/2010, 03:37 PM
The first bump has disappeared, but he has had two more since yesterday, one on the left side of his body which is now gone, and one on the right side near his head.
Is there a good site with information to help me figure out what this is, if anything?
Thanks.

If it is multiplying as you describe with some going away and being replaced by multiple others I'd suspect a parasite of some sort. Since it is QTed anyway, I'd treat it with hypo-salinity and hopefully kill whatever it is. Reduce your salinity over a 24 hour period to 1.01 and keep it there for 6 weeks. For what it's worth, that's what I'd do at any rate.

Recty
04/03/2010, 09:03 PM
If it is multiplying as you describe with some going away and being replaced by multiple others I'd suspect a parasite of some sort. Since it is QTed anyway, I'd treat it with hypo-salinity and hopefully kill whatever it is. Reduce your salinity over a 24 hour period to 1.01 and keep it there for 6 weeks. For what it's worth, that's what I'd do at any rate.

Trying not to be rude... but that is Bad Advice. Dont lower down to 1.01 for sure, I wouldnt go any lower than 1.09, most saltwater fish cant handle lower salinity than that.

Any of the experts like Bob Fenner and others say no lower than 1.09 and I definitely agree with them.

I'd also take at least 2 days to lower down, not just one.

reddogf5
04/06/2010, 07:02 PM
I looked on wetwebmedia, and the closest I could come up with is some sort of parasitic crustacean. My description was a little off, there was never more than one spot, it just moved around. It is gone now, and to my limited understanding parasites like this can not complete their life cycle in an aquarium setting due to a lack of intermediate hosts. I emailed them, but have not received a response.
The fish still looks very good, and if he doesn't show any further signs of the parasite I think he is going in to the main tank in a week.

Chris27
04/07/2010, 12:14 PM
Is there anything in the QT that the fish could have scraped up against? My hippo has marks like that regularly from backing into it's garage every night.

touhy
04/07/2010, 09:47 PM
Trying not to be rude... but that is Bad Advice. Dont lower down to 1.01 for sure, I wouldnt go any lower than 1.09, most saltwater fish cant handle lower salinity than that.

Any of the experts like Bob Fenner and others say no lower than 1.09 and I definitely agree with them.

I'd also take at least 2 days to lower down, not just one.

i think you are off by a factor of 10. you mean 1.009 and not 1.09 right? because i dont think any of these fish will live at a SG of 1.09 let alone anything above that.

Recty
04/07/2010, 09:50 PM
i think you are off by a factor of 10. you mean 1.009 and not 1.09 right? because i dont think any of these fish will live at a SG of 1.09 let alone anything above that.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the people here knew what I meant ;)