PDA

View Full Version : Test reports plankton friendly pumps

nightlight
04/02/2010, 11:27 AM
Does anyone know if there are reports available describing test results of type of pumps and their impact on live phyto-, and zooplankton?

pledosophy
04/02/2010, 11:53 AM
IME they have little affect. I have watched large pods take a ride through the pumps and be fine. The same goes true for clown fish fry and seahorse fry. Phyto and zooplanktong are much smaller comparatively so I would assume they would also be safe.

JME

ChadTheSpike
04/02/2010, 01:42 PM
I agree, I had a discussion years ago with some of the aquarium gurus (calfo, fenner, etc) on this topic and have seen small fish (a damsel) make it through the impellor ride. I think largely it is a non-issue. Besides, all the viable alternatives (positive displacement screw and piston type pumps, air lifters, etc.) are inefficient or cost-prohibitive.

The copepod folk discuss the impellors negatively impacting calanoid copepods (long antennae getting damaged in the ride), but calanoids are not something that most people are able to maintain in their tanks (I have been trying for years!) so I wouldnt worry about it.

GreshamH
04/02/2010, 01:49 PM
While working on the wholesale side I had fish routinely pass through Sequence 5800 pumps, even 4" long wrasses. The only issue I have seen is they can knock egg masses of harpacticoid copepods.

nightlight
04/02/2010, 04:38 PM
Thank you all for sharing your experience. This insight helped me a lot.

Does phytoplankton survive the ride through a skimmer?
What about zooplankton?

mscarpena
04/02/2010, 06:27 PM
Thank you all for sharing your experience. This insight helped me a lot.

Does phytoplankton survive the ride through a skimmer?
What about zooplankton?

Most do not IMO.