PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic sump

Bigjohnwoody
04/02/2010, 12:19 PM
I have a quick question. I used weld on #4 to put together my seams on
my sump and was curious if I could also run a bead of weld on #16 along the seam? Some of my seams have some bubbles in them and I don't care about looks near as much as I care about integrity on the sump since it won't be seen much? Will the #16 give it even more strength?

Acrylics
04/02/2010, 01:34 PM
Will the #16 give it even more strength?Yes and no. It can give a *little* strength but the added amount would be negligible at best. IMO you'd be far better served by running a bead of Weld-on 40 rather than 16.

FWIW, 16 is just thickened solvent. Take a bunch of acrylic shavings, toss it into a dish of solvent until the desired consistency is achieved and you have instant WO-16. As such the strength added is minimal as 16 is more than 50% solvent so once that evaporates out - you're not left with much. 40 is an actual acrylic resin and will yield far better results than 16.

IMO 16 ought to almost never be used, but again - JMO :)

James

mudguard2005
04/02/2010, 08:53 PM
I have never used weld-on #4. The last acrylic sump I made was using weld-on 3. I was told other # are not strong enough. Not sure about #4.

My recommendation is instead of starting from scratch, buy a used acrylic tank (usually cheaper) or abut the cost of getting acrylic sheets for the tank. Just buy some sheets to make baffles and sections.

Acrylics
04/03/2010, 08:03 AM
I have never used weld-on #4. The last acrylic sump I made was using weld-on 3. I was told other # are not strong enough. Not sure about #4.Someone gave you bad info :( The difference between 3 & 4 is simply the reaction time so, in essence - working time.

James