PDA

View Full Version : Wounds on Foxface!!??

returnofsid
04/02/2010, 01:46 PM
I'm hoping to get some help with this, as soon as possible.

I just noticed that my Foxface was hovering, in the bottom, front corner of my tank. Upon further inspection, I find 3 serious looking wounds on it's side. In order to get photos, I fed Red Marine Algae, and it eats just as pig like as always.

Tank mates include:
Pair of B/W Occellaris
Red Headed Solon Fairy Wrasse
Atlantic Blue Tang (Introduced on 3/24/10)
Tomini Tang (Has been with with the Foxface for months)

The tank is a 200 Gallon Deep Dimension 48"X36(front to back)X27"Deep (Full Reef)

I can only assume that this damage was inflicted by one of the Tangs. In observing the tank, I've never seen any aggressiveness between either Tang and the Foxface. The day I introduced the Atlantic Blue Tang, there was some serious aggressiveness between it and the Tomini Tang. However, that lasted about an hour or so. I haven't witnessed any aggression between any of the fish since.

I feed dried Red Algae, dried Green Algae and live Ulva, that grows in my refugium. I feed the herbivores 3-4 times daily. They also get Rod's Food Herbivore Diet, every other day, along with the Algae feedings. When I feed, all 3 eat, together, and show no aggression towards one another. Once in awhile, when eating, I will see the Foxface extend it's dorsal spines, towards other fish, but very seldom.

Here's pics. In the first picture, there appears to be a small wound under the left eye, as well, though I don't see this injury by eye, when inspecting the fish. Please excuse dirty glass. Any suggestions on how to treat this fish?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2767/4485032048_70134a4f45_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4484381865_54cd2ae6d9_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4484382573_103b661d33_b.jpg

JHemdal
04/02/2010, 02:01 PM
Those look like partially healed wounds from a tang - I'd guess the Atlantic blue. Unless the peritoneum was punctured, the fish should heal up just fine. If the body cavity was spined, there isn't anything you can do for it anyway.

Jay

returnofsid
04/02/2010, 02:09 PM
Well, if they're partially healed, they healed quickly. There were no marks on the Foxface last night. I'm planning to watch it carefully, over the next couple of days, to decide if it needs to be removed and treated. I'm thinking that if I need to treat it topically, I have iodine and Melafix.

JHemdal
04/02/2010, 02:13 PM
I would absolutely not use either of those topically - Melafix has no clinical tests for that application (that I've ever heard of) and iodine needs to remain in contact fairly long, so that means holding the fish out of water. Besides, the best time to get spined by a foxface is when handling it (grin).

Jay

returnofsid
04/02/2010, 02:25 PM
Noted!! So, if I do need to treat the fish, either topically, or in QT, what would be a suggested treatment? I do feel confident that I can safely handle the fish, without getting spined. I do have the ability to QT the fish, if needed. I just want to make sure that I have any medicines on hand, "just in case." I guess I was considering Iodine, to combat any possible infection, in which case, I would swab the wound with Iodine, or even give the fish an Iodine bath, if needed.

Lightsluvr
04/03/2010, 05:52 AM
That's pretty deep wound - it looks like whatever did it outsized the Foxface by quite a bit.

If the Foxface is eating, I suggest that you just leave it alone. You would cause a lot of stress by removing the fish for a dip and treatment. The stress would likely do as much harm to the fish as just letting it heal naturally...

JME.

LL

JHemdal
04/03/2010, 06:39 AM
I agree with Lightsluvr, leaving it alone would be best - with one caveat: whatever caused this in the first place is still there waiting for a rematch. Can you move the offender, or drop in a tank divider?

The only wound to really watch is the lower one - the upper two are above the body cavity.

Jay

returnofsid
04/03/2010, 10:14 AM
Without knowing which Tang is the offender, I can't really move it. Surprisingly, the 2 Tangs and Foxface are similar in size, at about 5"-6". The newest Tang, the Atlantic Blue is slightly larger than the Tomini Tang, but the Tomini is more of the boss, having been in the tank longer.

Today, all 3 fish are happy and again, eating together. I think this must have been a one time skiff, from which I hope the Foxface recovers...lol. It's acting as if nothing happened, so I'll leave it be and hope for the best, while continuing to observe.