PDA

View Full Version : Good PAR level for zoas and SPS???

Reefun
04/02/2010, 10:59 PM
I am looking for a range that would be considered good for medium to low light corals and a range that would be good for medium to high light corals.

I just got a PAR meter and have no basis for comparison.
Any info would be great if you have a PAR meter please feel free to post any info you have gathered.

Thanks

hounddog01
04/02/2010, 11:13 PM
150 to 600 is a good range. some will take more and some will need less but if you have this range there is not much you will have trouble with.

Reefun
04/03/2010, 08:25 AM
I have zoas growing and staying nicely colored up in as little as 65 PAR. Most of my SPS are in the 300-350 range but I think they could use a little more light.

Reefun
04/03/2010, 12:32 PM
Should this have gone in the advanced forum?
If so mods please move

Thanks

Lutefisk
04/03/2010, 01:40 PM
Should this have gone in the advanced forum?
If so mods please move

Thanks

Lighting is a good place for it. It is a good question but it isn't about breaking new ground.

Paul

Reefun
04/03/2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks paul

I just thought more people would have this info.

paullisa51708
04/03/2010, 11:14 PM
what kind of light you runnin what size tank i really want to get a light meter what kind u get?

solitude127
04/03/2010, 11:15 PM
I think a lot of people don't have PAR meters.

Lutefisk
04/04/2010, 03:09 PM
I have zoas growing and staying nicely colored up in as little as 65 PAR. Most of my SPS are in the 300-350 range but I think they could use a little more light.

This is my experience as well.

I've also had the same SPS colonies do well in the 600 as well as the 200 range.

However, per the eternal thread, the correlation between lighting and growth and coloration is incomplete on its own. There are many additional factors. Although PAR does give an indication as to the photosynthetically available radiation, the contribution of lighting to optimal coral health appears to include spectral issues which PAR readings don't directly address.

Additionally, as you are well aware, just dialing in a certain PAR output (variable intensity on LED's and fixtures, wattage, and height above the water) isn't a quick fix. Your corals will appreciate it if you make lighting changes slowly allowing them to acclimate to changing intensity, spectrum, etc..

My suggestion is to find a friend who is successfully keeping the types of corals you would like and replicate their lighting (keeping in mind there are a multitude of ways to be successful). Then use your PAR meter to guide you with coral placement and bulb replacement.

Paul