PDA

View Full Version : Do flow restrictors go bad?

bguile
04/03/2010, 09:39 AM
I've been running your Ocen Reef +1 in my new home for the past 3 years. Up until recently I've been getting a 40-50 PSI reading on my pressure gauge and for the past couple weeks it seems to get barely above 20. I replaced a couple filters including the RO membrane thinking they might have been clogged and restricting flow but the water pressure doesn't seem to change. It seemed that it wasn't until I placed a flow valve on the waste water line that I was able to manipulate the water pressure. Does this indicate a problem with my flow restrictor?

Paul D. York

PS. You guys have some of the best service and best prices I've seen on such quality products!!

Thefilterguys
04/04/2010, 09:09 PM
Tell me more about what you added here?

"It seemed that it wasn't until I placed a flow valve on the waste water line that I was able to manipulate the water pressure."

Jim

bguile
04/05/2010, 08:57 AM
Oh...it's just one of these:

http://thefilterguys.biz/images/14X14QFITQFITHANDVALVE.jpg

I placed it at the end of the waste line and closed it a good bit to raise the pressure gauge to around 40 PSI. The pressure gauge is located in it's original spot between the output of the 3rd filter and the input of the autoshutoff valve I believe.

Thefilterguys
04/06/2010, 12:17 AM
It sounds like you are running the flush valve over the flow restrictor open? When making water it should be in the closed position.

Jim

bguile
04/06/2010, 07:52 AM
It's closed. I'd even tried opening and closing it a few times before changing out the membrane hoping to flush it to see if it would help, but its definitely closed.

Thefilterguys
04/06/2010, 11:03 PM
What connection did you use to connect to a water supply self piercing saddle valve?

Jim

bguile
04/07/2010, 06:58 AM
I installed a direct feed from the main water line. *It's controlled by a ball valve that I'm sure is wide open. Water seems to flow at normal pressure at that point but I have not placed the water gauge there to get a positive reading. I can do that this afternoon and let you know the results. Thanks for your continued assistance.

bguile
04/07/2010, 10:05 PM
OK...so I checked the pressure at the source and just after the 3rd filter and I'm getting 50 psi at both points. However, once I reconnect everything as it should be with the pressure gauge before the shut-off valve, the pressure goes back to reading 20psi but again I am able to manipulate the pressure reading by opening and closing a shut-off valve placed on the waste line.

Thefilterguys
04/08/2010, 12:23 AM
Ok now I understand what your doing and its incorrect. The 50 psi is what you want after the third filter before the membrane. The pressure your building after the flow restrictor is causing a problem as it is a low pressure site. Please remove the hand valve after the flow restrictor before you damage your membrane.

Jim

bguile
04/08/2010, 09:38 AM
Ok. I will remove the valve as you stated. What would be my next step to finding out what's causing my low pressure reading?? Just to be clear, I am only getting a 50PSI reading following the third filter if I place a shut off valve immediately after the pressure meter (for testing purposes only). When I remove the valve and place everything back the way it should be and no valve at all on the waste line (the way it normally is) and flush valve closed, I'm getting a reading of 20PSI and hardly any RO/DI water.

Thefilterguys
04/08/2010, 11:23 PM
Can you take a picture of the top of your system so I can see how it is plumbed? It almost sounds like your static pressure is 50 psi and your system is water starved.

Jim

bguile
04/11/2010, 11:55 AM
sure!

Thefilterguys
04/13/2010, 07:15 PM
The plumbing looks just fine but which filters are you using they really look black for filters that were just changed or is it bad light?

Jim

bguile
04/23/2010, 03:20 PM
Jim, it was a combination of bad lighting and I was using the Chloramine package filters. I changed to them b/c my LFS posted signs alerting aquarium owners of chloramines and I found later that I have a different water supplier that does not use chloramines.

As an update though, I did receive my order today and changed out the second and third stage filters and I'm up and running making water again. Thanks again for your help and excellent service!!

Paul