PDA

View Full Version : Please help with juvi Goldflake

prodman
04/03/2010, 10:12 AM
I have a juvi goldflake its only 1 1/2". I bought it from a store that had had it in a reef display for a couple of months. I bought it a put it in my 35g Qt system. I let him settle in a start eating which happened right away. I dosed prazi pro. I week lated I added cupramine. I did the second dose of prazi and kept the cupramine at .5-.6 for 5 weeks. He ate and looked great the whole time. After 6 weeks in QT I added him to the display where he was the only fish.

In the DT it grazed the rocks constantly. I fed him at least 3x daily. Its been a couple weeks and it seemed to be doing great. Yesterday he was not out as much and this morning he was hiding in his cave for much too long. I caught him and he is on his side with labored breathing. The area around his gills are red if that means anything. What should I do now?
Thanks

prodman
04/05/2010, 07:58 AM
any thoughts? Did I keep it in cupramine too long?

Recty
04/05/2010, 10:03 AM
That seems to be a common trend with goldflakes... I'm not sure what causes it. I had a small goldflake that did great for almost a month, it ate everything happily and showed no sign of disease, then one day I noticed it wasnt out swimming, so I looked around and found it in a hole in the rock basically cowering but still looking OK. By that evening, it was out but swimming really poorly, by the next morning it was dead. It's been a while, so I could be a little off on my dates but it basically was great then changed over to the walked dead and then dead, all within a day or two.

I'm not sure what causes it, one guy who claims to know a lot about angels says for sure it was just stress.

prodman
04/05/2010, 10:36 PM
That is exactly what mine did. I was pretty bummed out to say the least. As for stress being the cause I don't know what could have stressed mine. I am mostly hoping that I didn't bring any disease into my display.