PDA

View Full Version : reeflo snapper 18?

Joel A
04/03/2010, 11:16 AM
anyone have experience with it? How do you like it? For my 120 set-up i was originally thinking about going iwaki, i wanted an external pump for as low of heat transfer as possible, and i wanted it to be quiet too. But for the same price as an iwaki MD-30RLTX i can get a reeflo snapper 18, which will do more flow at around 5' of head.

So just a few questions on it... how's the heat transfer compared to say an iwaki pump, or a lower wattage internal pump, say an ehiem? Also, how's the noise? I know you can dampen the sound of externals a bit with pads, something you can't do with internals, but how's the noise overall? Quiet i hope?

Final question is if it would be too much flow for my set-up 50 gallon breeder sump (36x18x18), display tank has two 1" drains, and two 1" returns. The overflow box itself is 18" long. It's the oceanic tech tank, so i could also use three drains and 1 return if i wanted, but not sure if that would make sense to have 1 return pushing 1500 gph of water.

cham
04/03/2010, 12:49 PM
I have the same tank and my snapper has been on it for almost 2 years. No issues. I'm not really sure about the heat transfer (how would one test for that?) but it seems fairly quiet.

A single 1" drain is all you'll need. That's all I've ever run mine on and its fine. I use the second 1" drain as a standby emergency drain and I've had to use it a few times (snail's and fish down the drain). Thank god I did that.

mm949
04/03/2010, 01:01 PM
i'd stay away from the snapper18, they tried using a chinese motor to save costs

cham
04/03/2010, 01:21 PM
i'd stay away from the snapper18, they tried using a chinese motor to save costs

Good call, I don't have the 18 so I don't know anything about it.

I wondered what that 18 was all about, I just googled it and saw.

Joel A
04/03/2010, 07:22 PM
so use the regular snapper, with the AO smith motor?

cham
04/03/2010, 07:35 PM
so use the regular snapper, with the AO smith motor?

That's the one I have and it's been running great for the past 2 years.