PDA

View Full Version : Red Flat worms

shanet1975
04/04/2010, 06:11 AM
Happy Easter!!!
It's been a while since I've been on here and also since I have taken time to properly maintain my aquarium. I tested the levels as it has been a while and things are great. I have a 39 gallon tall tank with a 39x4 t5 fixture and a CPR skimmer. I have about 60 lb's of rock, about 3 inch sand bed and a few pieces of soft coral. Well I have noticed over the past few days I have red flat worms all over everything. I have been reading and I am hearing 2 things. Try a six line wrasse and a Coris wrasse, or try flat work exit. I am just wanting to get some input on both methods and if anyone has had experience with these little fellas?
Thanks in advance...

mscarpena
04/04/2010, 06:29 AM
Try to find out what type they are and what they eat. Then just eliminate their food source. I get them from time to time and their population grows when I feed a little too much. I cut back on feeding then they disappear. Some eat coral, some eat mollusk, algae, and some are even photosynthetic.

Eric Williams
04/04/2010, 09:11 AM
Flat worm exit, it is easy and works every time

1boatnut
04/04/2010, 09:20 AM
Although flat worm exit works very well it is best to see if you can suck as many out of the tank prior to treatment.
Depending on what you have,I've read some flat worms become toxic when they die.

milkman55
04/04/2010, 10:22 AM
I just used Flatworm exit on corals that I was transferring from a 34 gal Solana to a 120 gal setup. I did not want to risk treating the entire 34 gal tank at once, so I moved the corals to a 12 gal Aquapod I had and treated them in that twice over two weeks. The second time I did not see any dead flatworms. I then dipped the corals in Revive and moved them to my new system. After I get all the corals out of the Solana, I will treat it with FW Exit to kill everything in the live rock. I had a really bad infestation, so I thought it was too much to get them all at once. Make sure you use the charcoal as recommended, siphon out as much as you can, and have a large water change ready to go. Just don't hurry the water change, give the FW Exit several hours to work.

I learned my lesson and all new corals will be dipped in FW Exit and Revive before going in the tank.