PDA

View Full Version : Would you QT a DD firefish pair?

small alien
04/04/2010, 11:04 AM
Would you?

If yes, how and why?

Thanks. I have a pair of purples coming Tuesday.

-the small one

twiggyb
04/04/2010, 11:06 AM
I qt'd all my DD orders. They can still get stressed during shipping and break out in an ich fest. Plus, it's just better to be safe than sorry imo

small alien
04/04/2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks. I have a cycled QT, but the lid situation isn't as fool proof as I'd like so I'd rather go into the main tank. If I did that, I'd do a formalin bath and FW dip before introduction. Other thoughts? Thanks.

snorvich
04/04/2010, 02:31 PM
If it were me, they would go straight in, no dips, nada. Most especially if there is a "top issue" I would avoid quarantine.

Ooulophilia
04/04/2010, 02:41 PM
I might get flamed for this but I QT on a case by case basis - enough times I have seen fish die because they were put in a 30 g bare bottom tank with no LR - there are fish that will just freak out in something like that - firefish being one of them!

I have never seen flukes on a firefish so I would not worry too much about the dip also

snorvich
04/04/2010, 05:21 PM
Same as above with this particular fish.

RichK
04/04/2010, 06:04 PM
It may be just luck, but I have never QT'ed a fish I bought from DD. From my Regal angel to my recent CBB. I add them to the display and I have never had an issue with disease. However, that is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.....

Big E
04/05/2010, 01:17 AM
I had a fish from DD that had velvet...........if I hadn't put it in QT it would have wiped out my tank. I don't care who the vendor is, you are playing russian roulette without QT.

It only takes one time & you're screwed. I have no desire to risk fish I've had for 5-17 years.

I'd make a lid......you can make a window screen with a frame any size you want cheap from HD. I've also made lids with egg crate that was topped with window screening. I used cable ties to attach the screening to the egg crate.

small alien
04/05/2010, 11:58 AM
Thanks all. The lid issue is definitely not insurmountable. Just curious what people think. I had always kind of worked under the assumption these fish we're "qt'd" and ready for action. Apparently, that's not quite always the case. I'm probably going to just put 'em straight in.

CorkPullerPHL
04/05/2010, 12:02 PM
I had a fish from DD that had velvet...........if I hadn't put it in QT it would have wiped out my tank. I don't care who the vendor is, you are playing russian roulette without QT.

It only takes one time & you're screwed. I have no desire to risk fish I've had for 5-17 years.

I'd make a lid......you can make a window screen with a frame any size you want cheap from HD. I've also made lids with egg crate that was topped with window screening. I used cable ties to attach the screening to the egg crate.

+1 An much as a I respect Snorvich, I'm going the other way on this one. I QT no matter what. I agree on not doing dips. I only use them when there is an immediate threat to the fish, ie a really bad case of flukes.

scooter86
04/05/2010, 12:36 PM
+2. I bought a Blueline Angel from DD that went into a 45 gal cycled virgin QT. It developed ich and velvet within 10 days. They returned my money with no problems. Even DD advises you to QT their fish.

small alien
04/05/2010, 12:38 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I will.

scooter86
04/05/2010, 12:49 PM
Is DD your best bet for getting disease free fish? Probably. Is it bullet proof? No. Check their FAQ section, they clearly recommend that you QT their fish at home.

lostintheocean
04/05/2010, 12:57 PM
QT everything

small alien
04/05/2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks!

Sardaukar
04/05/2010, 06:54 PM
QT everything.

scooter86
04/06/2010, 06:44 AM
+2. I bought a Blueline Angel from DD that went into a 45 gal cycled virgin QT. It developed ich and velvet within 10 days. They returned my money with no problems. Even DD advises you to QT their fish.

Correction to my previous post. It was a C. meredithi, not a blueline that I had a problem with.

cadsfe
04/06/2010, 10:57 AM
Ideally I like to QT my fish that I get. I had some problems with a group of anthias that I bought from a local store. So now I QT all fish in a live rock only tank that has the bottom painted.

small alien
04/06/2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for all the input. The fish should be here in a few hours. I do believe I have a decision to make. :)

readmeli
04/06/2010, 01:22 PM
QT QT QT QT.... At least that is what we say at LiveAquaria. :-) Here is a post from Kevin Kohen about the various reasons for QT'ing: http://www.dfs-pet-blog.com/2009/08/quarantine-aquariums-more-than-just-disease-prevention/

Along with a follow up on diseases: http://www.dfs-pet-blog.com/2010/01/ich/

And of course, our Why you Should QT article:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=205

Good luck! I hope your fish enjoy their new home. :-)

small alien
04/16/2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks so much. The fish are incredibly beautiful.