PDA

View Full Version : Esternal Skimmer Plumbing Qs

Morpheus'Reef
04/04/2010, 11:58 AM
Ok. I am having difficulty maintaining a steady water level in my sump, primarily due to an outbreak of hair algae that ends up clogging my intake. End result is that I took the plunge and purchased an external skimmer since I was under the belief that the water level of my sump would no longer be a variable in my skimming. HOWEVER, I am finding out that that is not the case. I believe this has as much to do with back pressure in the loop.

Basically my setup is such that the sump and external skimmer are at the same level (albeit in different cabinets). The output of my skimmer (11" from the ground) enters my sump at approx 5-6" from the ground; however the water level in the sump fluctuates between 11 - 13" from ground. I see a noticeable impact to my skimmer based on the sump water level.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to alleviate this (venting?). Am I even correct in my assumption. I can't raise the skimmer because I have no more clearance to play with in the cabinet. I am debating about just raising the cabinet up with some 4x4s but that would likely result in a unhappy spouse.

uncleof6
04/04/2010, 03:58 PM
Baffle the skimmer intake area in the sump. Put the baffle between the skimmer area, and the return area. Run your system drains into the skimmer intake area. Make the baffle the height that you want the water level for your skimmer. Only way to maintain a constant water level in the sump is with a baffle. The area with the return pump is the "lowest" area in the sump, and where evaporation shows with a fluctuating water level. Regardless of what goes on anywhere else in the system, the water in the skimmer intake area will remain constant. Ok, enough redundancy.

Jim