PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 9010

arctictwist
04/04/2010, 12:51 PM
Ok so my skimmer has been working ok. But not wonderful. But now its worse. It seems to be making plenty of foam. But the waste seems to just collect on the side of the tube going up to the cup, effectively never making it to the cup it self. Foam still makes it over the top and i get some slightly green water eventually in the cup. If i open the valve anymore it floods in minutes and if i close it off the foam level goes down. The skimmer is in 10-11 inches of water. What can i try?

rvitko
04/05/2010, 10:07 AM
I would open the screw a very small amount from the point where it is building up on the cup walls, maybe 1/8 turn- 1/4 turn. I am guessing this may be largely due to what is being skimmed, it sounds like algae is present and the cellulose and any stirred up sediment will cake the cup walls and this will impeded further skimming, once these substances are removed the skimmer should work better but you may have to clean the cup frequently until the sediments and algae particles are removed. The skimmate will also become more brownish as the algae is removed. Skimming on the wet side will speed up the process and help prevent the caking of the riser walls.