PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Roy Caldwell Q & A #4: O. scyllarus molting

moviegeek
03/19/2001, 10:20 PM
(Originally sent to ScottL aka Gilsboy63@aol.com by Dr. Roy Caldwell )

Scott,

O. scyllarus are prone to growing tuffs of red algae on wounds. If these don't progress too far, they aren't a problem. However, occasionally, the growth becomes so extensive that it penetrates the cuticle and interferes
with molting. That is fatal. Also, it is very serious if it gets into the gills. I don't know how to stop it, although good water qualify is clearly important. I have also found that my animals are less likely to develop it if I use a UV sterilizer. Temperatures of 72-80 are fine. Obviously, it
is best to avoid rapid changes, but in a large, established tank, this typically does not cause problems. The same is true of salinity - they are quite tolerant of swings from 30 to 36 parts.

O. scyllarus, depending on size, quit eating 3 - 7 days before the molt. The bigger the animal, the longer the time. You will also notice lots of digging and gathering of small objects to build a burrow with. It sounds to me like your animal is indeed getting ready to molt. Immediately after the molt, they usually bury the molt skin which is later dug up and eaten. Given the chance for infection, I would remove it (if you can find it). Within a day or two, they will take soft food such as raw shrimp. WIthin a
week, the animal should be back to normal.

Two of my females have laid eggs in the past week even though they haven't mated for over a year. The pre-oviposition behavior was very similar to pre-molt. They quit eating and blocked up their burrows (PPC pipe) with
lots of shell and gravel.

Good luck. Hopefully the red algae will be shead with the molt skin and all will be fine.

Roy