PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help, please

Marshal Law
04/05/2010, 12:36 PM
My fish are demonstrating the characteristics of Ick/velvet/pop-eye/cloudy eye. However, I don't think I could make a confirmed diagnosis that would fit all the signs of these proceses, because I can rule disease out according to the individual that is demonstrating the appropriate signs. For example, none of the the fish in the tank, it seems, has the tell tale sign of Ick, yet the Wrasse, the the trigger, and the Chromis all glance or flash, and not only off of tank decor but also off of other fish. I have also ruled out Ick due to the fact that, and I might be incorrect, the Angle is particularly susceptible and he looks sign and symptom free. The Tangs all demonstrate cloudy eye, but I have never seen them flash or glance. The Trigger, and the Angel both demonstrate pop-eye, but only the Trigger glances off of objects.None of the fish mentioned above are producing an excess amount of slime, and in fact, the Chromis and the Wrasse have clear eyes, but flash frequently. Individuals that seem unaffected at all are the Gobie, the Eel, and a Percola Clown fish. Could this be a bacteria of some sort?

RegalAngel
04/05/2010, 01:23 PM
How about Flukes:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1260067

Recty
04/05/2010, 01:23 PM
It could be something as simple as poor water quality. Do you have an ammonia test kit?

Marshal Law
04/05/2010, 01:58 PM
Thank you, I will look into both of these

Marshal Law
04/05/2010, 02:06 PM
The ammonia in the tank is low according to my test kit. The test tells me that it is at a level of 0. I don't really know how accurate this kit is by Ocean Master. Flukes may be a possibility, Prazipro? What is the best way to treat with this?

RegalAngel
04/05/2010, 02:27 PM
The ammonia in the tank is low according to my test kit. The test tells me that it is at a level of 0. I don't really know how accurate this kit is by Ocean Master. Flukes may be a possibility, Prazipro? What is the best way to treat with this?

"Prazipro? What is the best way to treat with this?"

Bingo! Three weeks with a proper dose each week.

Marshal Law
04/05/2010, 02:37 PM
Thank you, can I add this to my main tank or.....?

Marshal Law
04/05/2010, 02:39 PM
BTW, poor water quality is not out of the question, and I do have a lot of aptaisia. How do these organizims affect water quality?

Recty
04/05/2010, 03:49 PM
If the test kit is more than 6 months old, I'm not sure I'd trust it.

Aptasia are a good indication of excess nutrients in the water. This doesnt necessarily mean ammonia, but I'm just thinking that could be why the fish are acting like their skin is itchy or burning.

Marshal Law
04/05/2010, 10:56 PM
Excellent insight, thank you both for your suggestions you have been extremely helpful.