PDA

View Full Version : HOB issues

gmr7494
04/05/2010, 02:17 PM
Gmr, you're doing everything just right!! I assume that your display is fishless? If your HOB filter is set up on the display, there's a chance that the media is infected with Ich now...unfortunately. There are other options. You could set up your QT now, allowing it to cycle. Don't use the HOB filter on the QT, since it may now have Ich. OR, leave the HOB on the display for another week, and then move it to the QT tank. That week should be enough time to establish a small colony of the beneficial bacteria. The cycle of the QT tank will feed that bacteria. Then leave the QT fishless, for 4-6 more weeks, in order to cycle that tank AND kill any Ich that may be on the HOB filter. After that period, you could purchase fish, put them in QT and your display will have been "fallow" for long enough for any Ich in it to die off. Once fish are in QT, you can treat with hypo, copper (if done right) or just observe. The only problem with just observing is that Ich may not present itself, since the new fish may not be stressed enough. So, QTing without treatment is still a risk. However, it's less of a risk than buying fish and putting them directly into the display...lol.

Ooops, didn't even think about the HOB being affected now. Thanks for that info! Yes, my display is fishless now. What I'm going to do is cycle my QT tank today and add the HOB filter later. Quick question, though. What medium should I use for the cycle? A sponge filter? I've also got some dead bali alor rock in my backyard that I could use. What would you recommend?

To TS: Sorry for hijacking your thread.

bertoni
04/05/2010, 04:19 PM
Moved to a new thread to keep the conversation easier to follow.

What is in the QT tank? It has to have some sort of filter for it to "cycle".