PDA

View Full Version : Warner Marine H1 skimmer issues

bamse
04/05/2010, 05:31 PM
Hi everybody,
I've got yesterday my H1 skimmer, which looks pretty neat and it seems to be doing a pretty good job (once I've figured out how to prime it :) )
I just wanna share my first impressions about it, since when I've research it, I couldn't find quite enough information about it.
A manual would be quite useful, since many people buying small HOB units are actually newbies and have no clues how to start a skimmer (i.e. fill it with water, lower the venturi tube inside the water to close it, raise the level of the water to make it easier for the skimmer to start).
It took me a couple of tries to start it. I finally did it by covering the reverse pipe with the foam bar that comes with it and increasing the level of water in the skimmer. Once the venturi was blocked, the water column started to raise slowly. I was not watching it closely and I ended up experiencing my first mini overflow.
When I tried to mount the wood canopy back, I've realized that it does not fit
anymore (I have a 30gallon long Marineland tank).
It would be nice if the skimmer would sit further back,and if the screws where a bit lower to get under the tank rim (I've ended up carving the back of the canopy to make things fit, still working on this part)..
The noise is acceptable, a bit higher that my Tunze 6025 and Maxjet 1200 pumps. I wait to see if it gets better once it runs for a couple of days.

All in all, I like the skimmer (being my first skimmer, it is kinda special anyway :) ). The build has a small footprint, and it seems to be doing a good job.
Just thought it would help sharing my first impressions with other first time buyers.

mr9iron
04/05/2010, 07:58 PM
I have one and like it alot. It does hum a bit but it's not unbearable. My has really started to skimm really well since my bio load has increased. I empty the cup daily and I have some dark green tea every day and some really nasty thick crud on the neck of the collection cup.

bamse
04/06/2010, 05:42 AM
Question:
If I keep the skimmer work over night only, would that work ok for awhile?

I have nothing but LS and LR in my tank right now, and the plan is to load it slowly, each month getting one or two specimens.