PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Feedback on Controllers

reddogf5
04/05/2010, 09:33 PM
I am considering getting a controller for my AIO cube. I want to add an ATO, cooling fan, and refugium light. I also want it to replace the wave maker (2 pumps), main light timer, and moon light timer. I want it to monitor and control the temperature, turn off the pumps and skimmer for feeding/maintenance, have a fail-safe for the top off (2 level sensors or a timer), ideally some sort of fail-safe for temperature (2 sensors or default behavior if the temp is way out of bounds or doesn't change), and the ability to turn the lights on or off and revert to the programmed mode simply.
I figure I need the following channels:
Top off pump outlet
Fan outlet
Refugium outlet
Main light outlet
Pump A outlet
Pump B outlet
Skimmer outlet
Powerhead outlet
Heater outlet
Moon light outlet
Temperature input (2 opt.)
Level input (2 opt.)

For a total of 10 outputs and the temp and level inputs.

I have been looking at the Reef Keeper Lite and Aqua Controller Jr. Neither seems a perfect match. The RKL is limited on modules; it can do the input switches plus 8 channels and a moonlight module or 12 channels. The ACJr can do 12 channels, but only has single temperature and switch inputs. The seasonal temperature & light change and moon phase are neat features on the ACJr. While probably not truly useful be me, they are cool and a $300 timer should do cool things :) Either of these is about $350, I don't want to spend much more than that. I also don't see much expansion beyond what I listed above.

Any opinions as to which of these would better serve the functions I outlined? Also, any opinions on the quality of either one? Searching the archives turned up a number of complaints on the RKL, with an equal number of rebuttals so not much help there. It does appear the RKL has an issue turning some devices off on certain outlets, does the ACJr have a similar issue?
Any opinions appreciated, thanks.

Johnny C
04/05/2010, 09:38 PM
The Apex Lite isn't far $ from the AC Jr. and can do a bit more, most (if not all) of what you want. Either way, I'd go for Neptune. JMO :)

Hooknose5
04/06/2010, 01:48 PM
I was in the same predicament between the RK3 and the AC JR and I went with the RK3 I asked around on the forum and it was kind of a toss up I thought so I went with the RK3...I think its all preference really when you have to choose between the two

rbnice1
04/06/2010, 02:08 PM
Just look through these forums. go back page aafter page and read. this is asked/discussed 2 to 3 times a day.

Apex lite is going to be the way to go. But do your reading before you decide.

kareem314
04/06/2010, 02:35 PM
I think that you need to compare the Apex Lite and the RK3. I spent a lot of time reading the manufacturers sites and the forums to do my comparison. I ended up going with the Apex (not the Lite) for more future capabilities.

reddogf5
04/06/2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have searched, most of the posts are "Which one is best?", to which of course the answer is "it depends what you want" followed by "I think the one I just bought is best" :)
It is funny the Apex was mentioned, I think I am leaning towards the Apex lite. It addresses most of the drawbacks of the Jr from my standpoint, and I like the ability to program it.
Does the Apex have any quality issues that have popped up?

d0ughb0y
04/06/2010, 07:16 PM
whatever controller you get, initially there will be great excitement using the new toy and you will try to use every single feature available, etc. in the end, once the novelty wears off, you will see the simpler you keep things, the more reliable it will be. and at first you would think 12 outlets is not enough, but after you simplify things, you can find 8 outlets is plenty. that said, you can frequently find used ac jr for $180, and will serve you for a few years, by which time, you can probably upgrade to a used apex. These are electronic components with no wear and tear moving parts like a vortech so its safe to get used ones.

DaveMorris
04/06/2010, 10:46 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is the additional items that you will need. These things can add up fast. Float switches, cables, mounts for float switches, additional probes, etc. None of the controllers mentioned here include all of the bits and pieces that you will need for your system.

jimsplace
04/07/2010, 03:59 AM
To me one of the biggest considerations beyond what features they have is customer support. Neptune wins hands down! Did my research, watched the vendor forums on RC and the threads in this forum; bought an Apex Lite. Totally happy and my hat's off to the guy's in the Neptune forum here for all of their great information and help.