PDA

View Full Version : External Pump Running HOT.

MikeyB73
04/05/2010, 11:48 PM
I just bought a used IWAKI WMD-30RLXT 115 that is approximately 3 years old at the time I got it. After about 2 hours the pump gets what I consider really hot. The manual says that it is not uncommon for these pumps to get hot to the touch. They claim you should be able to put your hand on it for 3-seconds. I put my hand on the pump and wince as I count to 3. Does that seem normal for an external pump to anyone out there. I know the pump has a automatic shut-off incase it gets too hot, but that has not happened. I just started the tank up and am currious if I should be worried about the pump burning out soon on me or starting a fire.
Thoughts?

Mike

Chris27
04/06/2010, 05:47 AM
You can try running a small fan next to it to cool it down, depending on where you have it, there may not be enough air flow across the pump to properly cool it.

Fizz71
04/06/2010, 06:21 AM
My Iwaki ran hot too, so it's probably normal. If you're paranoid you can get a hold of a Kill-a-Watt and make sure the pump is pulling it's normal voltage and amps (115V/1 amp if I found the right specs). If you're running on an extension cord or a large distance from the service box on smaller wiring you can have a voltage drop that will make a pump run hotter than normal...but again..it's probably normal. Just be happy the case is hot rather than your water!