PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a 150g, 30" deep tank

Adam P
04/06/2010, 09:33 AM
I just picked up a 150g (30" tall) and just finished the cycle without any lighting. Trying to find something thats not overly expensive that will go deep and run FOWLR and maybe a couple small corals. Im pretty decent at DIY stuff and Id like to save the extra $ for the tank. I have a few t8 ballasts and bulbs sitting in the garage but im not sure if they will hold a stronger bulb. Any suggestions??

hebygb
04/06/2010, 10:24 AM
Well the key is that you said a FOWLR... and a "few" corals. If you hold to that plan, then you can go with T5s and keep corals in the top 3rd or half of the tank. You can even get by with a couple or 3 150 watt MHs but again you are going to need to keep all the corals in the upper 20 inches. If you start to find that you want corals on the sand bed I would say you are looking at 250 - 400 watt MH to reach the 30" depth. 250s would be for LPS at the bottom, 400s would allow you to keep anything like clams, SPS etc at the bottom.

serpentman
04/06/2010, 10:34 AM
IMO, "FOWLR and maybe a couple small corals" usually translates to "I want a reef but am starting with Fish." If I am incorrect, please disregard. If I am correct, consider something sufficient to light a reef with the type of corals you want. In other words, don't waste your money and buy lights that will be replaced in short order.

If its a true FOWLR, NO lights would be plenty sufficient without corals.

Adam P
04/06/2010, 11:55 AM
While upgrading is in mind I know i dont have the experience/skill to maintain a reef quite yet and I wouldnt want anything to die off just because i thought it looked cool. The "maybe a couple" comment was gearded towards possibly aquiring a couple small/easy to maintain pieces to get the feel of it to see if I wanted to progress into that side of reefing.

hebygb
04/06/2010, 12:30 PM
Serpent is right and I tried to paint that picture. That said. Lighting is one of the most critical, and probably the most expensive "must haves" of a coral reef. If you think you will want corals, plan for the future. Any light will work over a FOWLR (depending on your personal taste), but corals, (the vast majority) require light, and the correct spectrum. Plan and build for the likelyhood that you will want a reef. That is of course also dependant on what kind of fish are in your tank. FOWLR are often aggressive fish, and tend to include the coral hungry types...