PDA

View Full Version : Tunze box… Air operated ghetto style

Soultwater
04/07/2010, 02:03 AM
I’m thinking of making a wave devise using an air pump connected to a plastic bottle. This would be the ghetto part.:bounce3: Some people call it thrifty while others say cheap.:dance:

Picture a Tunze box but larger… now if I were to place a plastic bottle inside the box instead of a water pump, then have it waited it so it would rise when air is pumped in and would fall when it leaks out. This would make a wave correct? Now connect this to a timer and you have a ghetto wave box.:blown:
That’s the thought anyways…:fun2:

I’m thinking of a complete custom build tank so incorporating something like this wouldn’t be an issue.

Do you think it would be possible to make a cheap timer for an air pump?

Do you think it would be possible to time the rise and fall of a bottle to make a real looking wave?

Do you think it an air pump would last being turned on and off constantly?
What other issues might I run into?

Another thought is to remove the plastic bottle and seal the box leaving only the air hose connected to an air pump. When the air is pumped in it will displace the water and when the pump turns off water will enter the box again making a wave. :blown:

Just a crazy thought I don’t think air can be supplied at a rate that will make this affective or air pumps will burn out by turning them off and on constantly.
Any thoughts?:idea:

NanoReefWanabe
04/07/2010, 07:41 PM
you are describing a rudimentary Carlson Surge device....however with a carlson you dont need a timer just creative plumbing and the air will turn "on and off" so to speak on its own...

Soultwater
04/08/2010, 03:58 AM
you are describing a rudimentary Carlson Surge device....however with a carlson you dont need a timer just creative plumbing and the air will turn "on and off" so to speak on its own...

wow I would like the change the name to the Soultwater Surge device.... LOL

thanks I'll look int the CARLSON Surge device

yukonblizzard
04/08/2010, 01:38 PM
I think what you are describing is a Reverse Carlson Surge Device.

NanoReefWanabe
04/08/2010, 08:41 PM
I think what you are describing is a Reverse Carlson Surge Device.

errrrrr that is what i meant...

der_wille_zur_macht
04/08/2010, 08:59 PM
You won't be able to create a standing wave a'la Tunze Wavebox, but you can create a decent surge in this fashion. The frequency of surge is set by the flow rate of the airpump (how long it takes to fill the chamber with air). The intensity of surge is controlled by the volume of the surge compartment and the size of the plumbing in use.

Running this via mechanical switching of the airpump (turning it on/off) would be a Very Bad Idea for sure - definitely read up on the RCSD because it is indeed basically what you're describing. The biggest drawbacks are that they take up a fair amount of tank room and it's more or less impossible to get them quiet and bubble-free at higher flow rates.