PDA

View Full Version : Liighting for my Refugium

moneymark
04/07/2010, 07:02 AM
Hello all, can someone please let me know if I would be able to use a regular house light bulb to place over my refugium. Just need the bulbs to work for some macroalgae. Thanx in advance.

WhoDat?
04/07/2010, 08:52 AM
Here's what I did and made my cheato grow like crazy..... I bought one of those cheap metal light sockets with the clamp on them.... The ones you get for like 5 dollars at lowes or Wal mart.... They are used for a clamp on spotlight.... I took it all apart so I only had the socket and wire... (it was very easy, not much to them things) I bought a 6500k fourescent bulb from lowes.... It's a floodlight type that replaces halogen bulbs for a cheaper way to have outdoor light.... I think it's equivalent to 85 watts but only uses 18 watts..... Anyway, screw that bulb into the socket and I screwed some little wire clamps to the bottom of my stand and hung the light over the fuge.... It works great.... And is super bright with almost no heat.....

Nino Garcia
04/07/2010, 08:59 AM
here's what i did and made my cheato grow like crazy..... I bought one of those cheap metal light sockets with the clamp on them.... The ones you get for like 5 dollars at lowes or wal mart.... They are used for a clamp on spotlight.... I took it all apart so i only had the socket and wire... (it was very easy, not much to them things) i bought a 6500k fourescent bulb from lowes.... It's a floodlight type that replaces halogen bulbs for a cheaper way to have outdoor light.... I think it's equivalent to 85 watts but only uses 18 watts..... Anyway, screw that bulb into the socket and i screwed some little wire clamps to the bottom of my stand and hung the light over the fuge.... It works great.... And is super bright with almost no heat.....

+1

tangtang clown
04/07/2010, 10:41 AM
+1, I will being doing that mod today. I have been using an extra Coralife 24" 50/50 PC fixture, but it is time to change the bulbs and it will be cheaper to do what g-money did than it would be to replace the bulb. Thanks g-money.

Also, g-money, do you run the light 24/7 or 12 alternate>?

Jason S
04/07/2010, 11:07 AM
Here's what I did and made my cheato grow like crazy..... I bought one of those cheap metal light sockets with the clamp on them.... The ones you get for like 5 dollars at lowes or Wal mart.... They are used for a clamp on spotlight.... I took it all apart so I only had the socket and wire... (it was very easy, not much to them things) I bought a 6500k fourescent bulb from lowes.... It's a floodlight type that replaces halogen bulbs for a cheaper way to have outdoor light.... I think it's equivalent to 85 watts but only uses 18 watts..... Anyway, screw that bulb into the socket and I screwed some little wire clamps to the bottom of my stand and hung the light over the fuge.... It works great.... And is super bright with almost no heat.....

+3 Exactly what I use. Just make sure it is a 6500K bulb and you will be golden.

WhoDat?
04/07/2010, 11:46 AM
+1, I will being doing that mod today. I have been using an extra Coralife 24" 50/50 PC fixture, but it is time to change the bulbs and it will be cheaper to do what g-money did than it would be to replace the bulb. Thanks g-money.

Also, g-money, do you run the light 24/7 or 12 alternate>?

I alternate .... Fuge light on all night, DT during the day... For PH stability... And yes the Kelvin rating matters.... I had to search a little at Lowes to find the 6500K... I also heard there is higher K ratings available online...(like 7500) But I'm not sure if it makes that much difference.... I'm happy with this light.... I used to have a small 18 watt coralife light on it... Wasn't enough at all.... I'd say this 18 watts is twice as bright...

moneymark
04/07/2010, 12:09 PM
Thanx guys, I'll be going to Lowes today to check it out.

KMUNCC
04/07/2010, 12:14 PM
Ill be going to lowes on the way home have everything but the bulb and I need a cheap sump light or what little fuge I have

jbanks
04/07/2010, 03:16 PM
Lights of America PC flood light from Home Depot worked wonders for me. Chaeto growth was amazing...