PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Suicide

Jakal
04/07/2010, 07:51 AM
Ok this may be stupid, as a matter a fact I feel stupid for even posting this but Im going to anyways. I HAD a bubble anemone and It was content sitting between 2 rocks for about 3 months. Then he started moving towards the filter inlet. Got caught in it twice and i was able to get him out with minimal damage. Finally got caught in it again over night and he was messed up by morning. Anyone have an idea why he would do that to begin with and yet travel across the tank and do it again?

yardboy
04/07/2010, 08:10 AM
You are right, you should feel stupid posting this. Anemones aren't considered the most intelligent creatures in the sea, due to not having a real brain, not being very mobile, having only senses of motion, touch, and light.
All he probably knew was that it sucked where he was and so wanted to find someplace better. He lets go his hold and drifts downstream, straight to the intake of the filter. Shield the filter overflow so he can't get caught in it and find a place where he may like it better; good light, water flow, and food. Especially the food.

WDLV
04/07/2010, 09:39 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/walterlaroque/3-2010/3-3-2010001.jpg

Drewbaby
04/07/2010, 10:50 AM
I don't know why people bother responding when all they have to say is derogatory and diminishes the positive atmosphere this hobby was founded on.

Some people are just getting started and don't know much more than what the local fish store tells them. People join forums for help from other hobbyists.

To answer your question they move around when they are not happy. They are looking for food lighting flow or something they are lacking. Some people move them back. I let mine wander till it settled down, but I turned off my filter when it was floating and also used a prefilter sponge to prevent purée. Try target feeding it once or twice a week.

Hope that helps for your next one if you try again and sorry about the rude people in the world

jupiter
04/07/2010, 12:21 PM
I don't know why people bother responding when all they have to say is derogatory and diminishes the positive atmosphere this hobby was founded on.

Some people are just getting started and don't know much more than what the local fish store tells them. People join forums for help from other hobbyists.

Hope that helps for your next one if you try again and sorry about the rude people in the world

I thought he was kidding.

You were kidding, weren't you? :worried:

WDLV
04/07/2010, 12:39 PM
....to give the benefit of a doubt; everyone has a bad day from time to time. I've made a few irritated posts myself.

I usually do a search of their other subscribed threads to see if they're always a hoser or if it's an isolated event. Mods don't usually put up with it for long so I'm guessin with 400+ posts he was either being sarcastic or was just havin a rough day.... then there's always misinterpretation and bad communication.

yardboy
04/07/2010, 03:11 PM
I thought he was kidding.

You were kidding, weren't you? :worried:

You said and called yourself stupid, I jokingly agreed. I'd have felt the same way. My answer was essentially the same as "drewbaby" but directed at you and not another poster.
When I had a similar thing happen I felt the same, but covered the intake of the powerhead so it couldn't happen again and put him in a different and what I thought might be better place. He stayed. Turning off the current while an anemone looks for a suitable place isn't very helpful because he doesn't have the current to help him move and when you think he's settled and then turn the current back he may discover that the new place sucks too and back to the same vicious cycle unless the powerhead is shielded.
I only had it happen once, and made it so it couldn't happen again.
Good luck with yours and thanks for reading between the lines. You set the tone, I just followed it! Life is too short to take it too seriously!

Edit: I suppose an exclamation mark is a limited method of indicating the emotional component of a post. Guess I should have thrown a smiley face or two in there also.

jupiter
04/07/2010, 04:38 PM
You said and called yourself stupid, I jokingly agreed. I'd have felt the same way. My answer was essentially the same as "drewbaby" but directed at you and not another poster.
When I had a similar thing happen I felt the same, but covered the intake of the powerhead so it couldn't happen again and put him in a different and what I thought might be better place. He stayed. Turning off the current while an anemone looks for a suitable place isn't very helpful because he doesn't have the current to help him move and when you think he's settled and then turn the current back he may discover that the new place sucks too and back to the same vicious cycle unless the powerhead is shielded.
I only had it happen once, and made it so it couldn't happen again.
Good luck with yours and thanks for reading between the lines. You set the tone, I just followed it! Life is too short to take it too seriously!

Edit: I suppose an exclamation mark is a limited method of indicating the emotional component of a post. Guess I should have thrown a smiley face or two in there also.

It wasn't me but I'm sure the original poster also knew it was a joke too.

pandarider007
04/18/2010, 08:28 PM
Ok this may be stupid, as a matter a fact I feel stupid for even posting this but Im going to anyways. I HAD a bubble anemone and It was content sitting between 2 rocks for about 3 months. Then he started moving towards the filter inlet. Got caught in it twice and i was able to get him out with minimal damage. Finally got caught in it again over night and he was messed up by morning. Anyone have an idea why he would do that to begin with and yet travel across the tank and do it again?

my gbta did the exact same thing over night. :(