PDA

View Full Version : Need QUIET skimmer - replacing Aquac ev240

gruve
04/07/2010, 09:57 PM
Hi,
After searching for a quiet pump to run my EV 240, i'm thinking about switching skimmers altogether to something quieter.

I have a 120 that will have moderate to heavy load. I'm considering the Tunze 9006 or 9010, the Octopus Extreme 160 or 200, and the Vertex IN 180 or 250. They all fall within the same price range really.

I'm obviously interested in the best performance but equally interested in noise level.

I like that the Tunze is small and supposedly very quiet, and I know the octopus gets good reviews(is it quiet?), and honestly after about 3.5 hrs of reading threads and doing research I can't remember why I have the Vertex on my list heh... I suppose i must have read good things a few hours ago.

Does anyone have any information or experience to help sway my decision?

Also how much do you think i can get for the EV 240? It's used but in very good shape.

Thanks!

gruve
04/08/2010, 09:07 AM
Just a morning bump. I really could use some help here guys. I have no idea which way to go after hours and hours of research.

gruve
04/08/2010, 05:56 PM
afternoon bump. Really? no advice? I know it's a worn topic but i havent seen these 3 compared together... its always one of these vs something else like a WM or H&S or whatever.

REALLLLY could use some help. Thanks a lot!

gruve
04/08/2010, 08:31 PM
night bump

TexasMike
04/08/2010, 08:53 PM
I just purchased the Octopus XP 2000 for my 90 gallon this past weekend. It is really quiet and am very pleased with it's performance so far.

gruve
04/08/2010, 08:57 PM
yeah i've been looking at the octopus extreme 200 pretty intently.... but the Tunze 9010 looks good too. the xp 2000 is probably a bit more than im willing to spend... at least new.

Anyway thanks for the response... i've been fishing for a whole day for some help in this thread. I really appreciate the input.

How much did you pay for your 2000 and why did you go for such a large skimmer considering it's rated for 200 gal?

scolley
04/08/2010, 09:11 PM
Are your noise issues about just the pump? Or is it also related to noise from the relatively high water injection rates?

If it's just about the pump noise, have you looked into Reeflo's? Particularly the Snapper? It's higher flow than you need, but it handles pressure, can be throttled back with a corresponding decrease in electricity consumption, and is supposed to be very quiet.

TexasMike
04/08/2010, 09:14 PM
Woops. Wrong thread

TexasMike
04/08/2010, 09:16 PM
Ah hell. I am in the right thread 0_0

Here goes again........

Yeah, I was amazed you haven't received any responses yet. :hmm3:

I paid $399 + tax at my LFS. The owner had about 15 of these sold within a week of him getting them in. I remember him getting them in the store and the next week I came in. The majority were sold.

Anyways, the reason I got it was the LFS owner had tested one out a couple months before he decided to sell them. He said he was extremely impressed on how well it works. He is a pretty straight forward guy that hasn't tried to steer me in the wrong direction, so I went based on his word. Then I came on RC and did my research. I know. I did it backwards. :) Everyone's review that I read thought highly of it. Phew.

Well, after having to buy a larger fuge since the Octopus was to large for my previous fuge. I got it hooked up am extremely pleased with its performance. It is extremely quiet, produces no micro bubbles, and is currently skimming pretty nicely. Although it is temper mental when I feed. The skimmate goes back down and takes a couple hours to get back up the tube.

The reason I went larger is I plan on upgrading eventually and don't want to have to rebuy everything for a 3rd time. :)

tkeracer619
04/09/2010, 12:00 AM
Its worth it to get the xp2000 or sr3000. They have the bubble blaster pumps which are quieter then most other pumps.

I would stay away from anything cheaper if noise is an issue.

gruve
04/09/2010, 06:59 AM
so is there a big difference between the xp 2000 and the extreme 200?

skimmy
04/09/2010, 07:23 AM
have you looked at the SWC cone skimmers??
the mini s(w/ sicce) is on sale for $275 at reefiltration, and good for up to 200g, and the new SWC 180 cone w/ sicce is going to be $370 and an awesome cone design for the sicce pump.

jdthomas24
04/09/2010, 09:52 AM
found this in another thread somewhere. still researching though. anyone have on of these?

http://lifereef.com/frame.html

jmik26
04/09/2010, 10:00 AM
+1 on the SWC skimmers. I have the SWC-160 cone and the small footprint and amount of skim it produces is amazing. I previously had a Vertex IN-100 that worked great but the loudness of the pump bugged me. The SWC seems quieter then my heater :lmao:.

gruve
04/09/2010, 03:16 PM
i havent looked at the SWC's ... in fact I don't think I've seen them mentioned very much

I keep hearing the Tunze's are very small and quiet... is that true? Should I be concerned that the small size means having to remove the cup more often?