PDA

View Full Version : Lights for 70g

Lemeshianos
04/10/2010, 02:47 AM
I was wondering what lights are suitable for my 70g.
Water is 20 inches high from the sand bed.
I would like to keep LPS at first until I get enough experience to maybe try leathers, clams and anemones.

I already have a ballast that can power up-to four 54Watt T5s. I have another one but I don't think I can fit more than 4-6 lamps over the tank.

I was thinking of adding one MH to supplement on the light needed for what I plan to keep in the tank, and run only two of the T5s.
Should the MH be 150, 175 or 250 watts?

Also if I decide to try LEDs, how many LEDs will be needed?(I will also use maybe 2 of the T5s).

Engine8ff
04/10/2010, 06:30 AM
This is one of those things that it all depends on you, as with most of the stuff involving keeping a tank. I take it your tank is 48"? I know alot of people that keep everything from softies to sps under T5's. I perfer MH's and suppliment with T5's thats just me. I would think if you could get 6 bulbs under your hood that would be more than enough to keep what you want. You can go to the lighting fourm and get all the info you want on T5's and MH's, there is a couple members there that will also give you lighting combos for your T5's. Good luck.

crvz
04/10/2010, 07:45 AM
Yep, as mentioned it's really up to your preferences. Everything has it's pros and cons. T5's are generally going to draw less power for the equivalent light output compared to MH, but you lose some of the aesthetics that MH provide. LEDs have a pretty high up-front cost, but will last 10 times as long as MH or T5 bulbs. MH cost more to run and are often require more effort to cool compared to T5 and LEDs, but they're certainly proven and relatively simple. Lots of things to factor, but if you already have the T5 ballast you may just start by getting 4 bulbs and 4 individual reflectors and go from there.