PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Angel normal color change or disease?

bleuice55
04/10/2010, 09:18 PM
Hello,
I have a juvenile angelfish (3 inches) that has been going through some changes in the last week. I'm not familiar with angels, but the tank paraments are all good. The tank is well established with inverts, copperband, maroon clown, etc.

In the last 7 days my angelfish's head and tail look to be changing color or losing color. Upon closer inspection it looks like little tiny circles on his/her head.....I attached photos as an reference. The fish is eating well and swimming normal as if nothing is wrong. This is my first angel so I'm not familiar with their diseases or color changing. Please let me know if this looks like a disease (type), etc. Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JHemdal
04/11/2010, 07:43 AM
How long have you had this fish? Did you quarantine it? Is there ANY cloudiness to its eyes? (The flash photos obscure that in the pictures).

At first I just thought it was diffuse head and lateral line erosion (HLLE) starting up, but it is a bit more diffuse than it should be, plus the one image shows slight cloudiness and tattering of the caudal fin. It could therefore be a trematode infestation - or that AND HLLE at the same time (pretty common, actually).

Years ago, I documented a case of HLLE being caused by a bacterial disease in this species of angelfish (but it had flukes as well).

Jay

bleuice55
04/11/2010, 10:04 AM
Jay,
Thanks for your input. I've had the fish for about 3 weeks...unfortunately I didn't QT it (lessoned learned)

There's no cloudiness in his eyes. My first impression is HLLE, but you're right...it doesn't quite look like it. The fin looks like it has a tan/brown smear on it. That's what makes it confusing. The symptoms appeared in a matter of two to 3 days...maybe less. The tank is about 7 years old and the other fish show no symptoms.

Once again...thanks for your help

jdyer88
04/11/2010, 04:49 PM
Nice fish. Since your other fish are healthy I would call the LFS you bought it from and give them a piece of my mind. Ask them if they quarantine their fish before selling them and if not than why. :uzi: