PDA

View Full Version : Hello Lights T5 Retrofit Kit

Bonebrake
04/11/2010, 02:01 AM
I got the 4 x 24 watt T5 retrofit kit from Hellolights.com.

I expected it to be more plug and play, but the whole thing comes completely loose, wired, but loose and you have to find something to mount the end caps on if they aren't going directly into a canopy. I have limited space and want to mount these to a thin sheet of something so that I can then mount the entire thing underneath a kitchen cabinet to light my tank on the kitchen counter.

The underside of the cabinet is recessed an inch, and I will need to add some wood to the frame to make the recess deeper so the lights can't be seen when looking at the tank.

Any suggestions on what would be an easy, thin sheet of material to mount this on so the whole fixture would be easily removeable then from underneath my cabinet to take it out and replace lamps, etc.?

divewsharks
04/11/2010, 04:19 AM
A thin sheet of plywood wouldn't work?

Stephen73ta
04/11/2010, 03:17 PM
post a pic when you've figured it out, I am planning on purchasing the same thing next week in a 36"

chilwil84
04/11/2010, 04:15 PM
if you cant use 1/2 plywood and screws just get some small bolts and nuts to mount it to a sheet of metal.

Bonebrake
04/13/2010, 08:55 AM
I ended up using 3/16" pegboard which worked great and staggered the lamps so that I could squeeze four bulbs into the tight space and then centered the reflectors over the tank.