PDA

View Full Version : pyramid snail on new clam

topfish
05/01/2003, 04:24 PM
hello, I have a gold maxima 3 in. for about 2 mos. I just added a baby blue maxima yesterday and today I noticed a pyramid snail on it's shell up around it's mantle. I took the snail out of the tank and is now gone. But i fear there may be more. I haven't seen any pyramids until now so it must of came from the maxima, although i did do a check on the clam before buying it and did not see any. The tank is small(10 gallons) So I can't buy a juvi red coris wrasse to munch on them. Is there anyway I can prevent or get rid of these snails? O ya, the lighting is 96 watt pcs I dose with dts quite a bit and the tanks has been up for a year now. Thanks!

Alex
05/01/2003, 08:25 PM
Well a six line wrasse would be ok in that tank size. Also check the clams every night for snails.

Iwould recommend getting halides as soon as possible. Watts per gallon does not mean anything. The (Photosynthetic avalible radiation) or PAR value of the light is important. PC's have low a very low PAR value when compared to halides. Thoses clams might be small now but when they get 3 inches or larger light is important. They might not keep there colors with out good lighting and might die without it.

Alex

topfish
05/01/2003, 09:33 PM
thanks, ill chek tonight. Ill keep the mh in mind, but the clams are around the top of the tank, and both of them are showing of some nice white calcium edge on my clams shell. I have a pair of clowns, and that is pushing it a little in a 10 gallon tank. My parameters are good, but it would prob be to mush to add the six line. Do you think i'd be able to do this? Thanks!

Alex
05/03/2003, 11:15 PM
yea I would not add the fish if you have 2 clowns already. Just check the clam every night for snails.

Alex

Doughster4
05/04/2003, 08:28 AM
Check em every night and squish the little buggers! My six line would rather eat pods. I had a beautiful yellow coris but he went carpet surfing. Will definitely be getting another and remember to close the door after feeding!

AQUAN8TOR
05/04/2003, 11:35 AM
I have a juvenile coris gaimard (red coris wrasse) in my 40br who does an excellent job of erradicating pyramidellid snails. I've tried sixlines in the past with no luck, either. The red coris seems to really enjoy searching for the tiny snails, as he roots around the bases of my clams in search of a crunchy snack. I will say this, though: I do think that squishing the snails is obviously a much faster way of removal, but that's not always easy if your tank is very full of corals and clams.

happy clamming!!

topfish
05/04/2003, 09:10 PM
thanks, ill guess ill check every night.