PDA

View Full Version : ORA sps coral owners....?

jsdancer
04/11/2010, 07:54 PM
Hey all,
I am trying to compile a list of ORA corals. I'd like its popular name followed by the scientific name. I tried looking at the ORA website. Even though there are a lot of fanatastic pics can't seem to find the scientific names.
If you like please provide a photo and what your opinion it's about difficulty to keep.

If there is a list out there already, can someone send directions to the thread or site?

Thanks guys,

sjfishguy
04/11/2010, 07:58 PM
http://www.oracorals.com/

jsdancer
04/11/2010, 08:06 PM
Yep sjfishguy,
I looked there but found no scientific names.
Thanks
http://www.oracorals.com/

Znut Reefer
04/11/2010, 08:20 PM
Don't have a pic but the ORA Bellina seems to be the hardest to keep for me and some others.

fishguy597
04/12/2010, 07:58 AM
Try aquacon they have a ton of Ora corals but not so much for scientific names. Seems like most vendors go by street names.

jsdancer
04/12/2010, 12:40 PM
I know what you mean. It seems that those of us aquarists who want to know what specific species of acro's we have must do lots of cart wheels to get the info.
Knowing what species one has can assist us in determing final palcement within our tanks.
Not too much to ask for IMO.
Anyway will post what I have been able to find.

Thanks!

Try aquacon they have a ton of Ora corals but not so much for scientific names. Seems like most vendors go by street names.

returnofsid
04/12/2010, 12:41 PM
Here's a thread I started, on the same subject about a year ago, that has lots of potential scientific IDs.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1609260

Also, keep in mind that www.oracorals.com is in no way associated with ORA.

hyperfocal
04/12/2010, 12:44 PM
Also keep in mind that most scientific names tossed around are, at best, very rough guesses. Borneman says he can't be 100% sure of an ID without a denuded skeleton and a microscope; given that, I wouldn't sweat it too much :)

jsdancer
04/12/2010, 09:55 PM
I actually found your thread after I posted this one. I did not realize the ORA website was not actually their site.Here's a thread I started, on the same subject about a year ago, that has lots of potential scientific IDs.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1609260

Also, keep in mind that www.oracorals.com is in no way associated with ORA.

I do understand that we don't, lets say, have a 100% diagnosis, but at least a close enough answer that may be logical would be good as well.

Also keep in mind that most scientific names tossed around are, at best, very rough guesses. Borneman says he can't be 100% sure of an ID without a denuded skeleton and a microscope; given that, I wouldn't sweat it too much :)

ReefTECK
04/12/2010, 11:25 PM
yeah ORA's official website is www.orafarm.com they are the "for profit" branch of Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. One of my distant relatives has been a submarine pilot there for the last 30 years, Mr. Don Liberator ;) Their submersibles dived for the "deep sea" segment of the Blue Planet series.

ReefTECK
04/12/2010, 11:32 PM
Maybe they're not associated anymore.....It looks like the old hboi.edu website has been replaced by something from "fau" some Florida university. Times are changing. During ORA's purchase of the Robert Reynold's mariculture farm in the Marshall Islands they were still partnered with HBOI.

jsdancer
04/13/2010, 10:42 PM
Yes reeftech. I came across this website and also came to a dead end.
Still, in the hobby there are still some of us who have a desire to know.
I picked these corals because of their abundance out there in the reef world and I thought that most likely ORA coral owners would possible know not only their common names and but the scientific name as well.
Hey the more you know the more you grow.
:fish1:
yeah ORA's official website is www.orafarm.com they are the "for profit" branch of Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute. One of my distant relatives has been a submarine pilot there for the last 30 years, Mr. Don Liberator ;) Their submersibles dived for the "deep sea" segment of the Blue Planet series.