PDA

View Full Version : May be Ick, so I have some questions

wardda
04/12/2010, 07:58 AM
On Friday I noticed three white spots on my yellow tang, that I purchased a week ago. (Yes, I know, my bad I should have QT'ed him, but he went right into my display tank.) Two on his side fin and on on his back fin. About the size of a grain of sand, looked just like pure white grains of sand.

So i rushed out and purchased a 14g QT tank. Got it setup with water from my display, added pvc pipe for the fish to hide in/around. Have a power filter, bubble wand, heater, and lights on the tank. While I was setting this up my tang took a trip to the cleaner shrimp. And the three white spots are now gone.

I still proceeded to catch all the fish in my tank and put them in the QT. They have been there for the last two days. Which leads me to a few questions.

How often do I need to change the water in the QT with this fish load. 2 clowns (3/4" each), two firefish (1.5" each), one royal gramma (1.5") and 1 yellow tang (1.75")? Or is this just test water quality and when it starts to decline change it?
Do i change the water using water from the display or fresh saltwater?
Should I wait to do a copper treatment until I see signs of ick or do I just do it now assuming that is what it was?
Do I need to remove my star fish from the display or does he stay there with the shrip, crabs, and snails?
Any other advice?

The only two things I have noticed was the three white dots as I mentioned and if I wouldn't have noticed them before the tang went to the cleaner shrimp I wound't have ever seen them. And my clowns and royal gramma were banging their tails on the sand in the tank, but I had assumed that was because there were some crabs moving into their normal hang out area, where they usually get fed, just FYI as I don't know if that is related or not.