PDA

View Full Version : Haddoni Movement?

benihana
04/12/2010, 08:52 AM
Just wanted to see if Haddoni's were nutorious for moving around a tank, similar to BTA's

I am considering getting one for my Wild Onyx pair in my 120, but want to get some information before I pull the trigger

mayjong
04/12/2010, 08:56 AM
mine moves (moved twice)
in theory, it won't if happy with current, light and food.
i think mine moved because i wasn't feeding it enough. problem is, they can get BIG (mine is about 20" across) and if (when) they move, nothing can contain them.
i have named mine "Dozer" , as in 'bulldozer' ....

Toddrtrex
04/12/2010, 08:59 AM
I currently have 5 of them. Excluding me moving any of them, they haven't really moved (( excluding moves less then a couple of inches )) in about 2 years.

The biggest reason, that I have found, that will cause a Haddoni to move is a change in flow -- usually too much. Even moving a powerhead a couple of inches have caused mine to move in the past. They seem, IME, fairly sensitive to too much flow.

benihana
04/12/2010, 09:10 AM
so SOME, but indirect flow is best?

What else do you guys have in your tanks with them? And once they start moving, I assume they devour all of the corals in ther path?

Toddrtrex
04/12/2010, 09:14 AM
so SOME, but indirect flow is best?

What else do you guys have in your tanks with them? And once they start moving, I assume they devour all of the corals in ther path?

"Some" being the key word. The oral disc being lifted up once in a while is fine -- over half the time and odds are good it will start to move.

Spread over 3 tanks, I have them with; SPS, clams, zoas, open "brains" and a few other sandbed dwelling corals that I am forgetting about.

My clams haven't been bothered by them, even when touching, but other corals have been lost -- SPS frags that fall into them and an acan.

benihana
04/12/2010, 09:52 AM
Has yours ever moved into a SPS/LPS that yuhad on thesand bed and killed it? I am thinking the answer is yes...

Also, I thought I remember hearing that these guys prefer sand beds????

Toddrtrex
04/12/2010, 11:03 AM
Has yours ever moved into a SPS/LPS that yuhad on thesand bed and killed it? I am thinking the answer is yes...

Also, I thought I remember hearing that these guys prefer sand beds????

The only sandbed coral I have ever lost to a Haddoni was an acan.

Yes, they are sand dwelling anemones, usually right at the rock/sand interface.

mayjong
04/12/2010, 01:58 PM
yep, Dozer loves his foot under a rock, at the base in the sand.
mine has only eaten an SPS that fell into it. it hasn't eaten anythat it just "touches", including a clam.

he just "Dozers" them, along with rocks, and anything else in his way.
i never changed my flow, BTW...
he was in the same spot for 8 months. has moved twice in the last 5 months...
needless to say, i've started feeding him twice a week again!