PDA

View Full Version : AquaBus connectors inferior to RJ11

apjohnson
04/12/2010, 10:19 AM
So does anyone else feel like the AquaBus has at least one big disadvantage over RJ11...and that is the lack of a locking clip to keep it in place. I'm sure there are advantages which led Curt to go in this direction, but in my opinion, the lack of a locking clip is a big disadvantage. Anyone else think so?

--AJ

Ycore
04/12/2010, 10:52 AM
The aquabus connectors are essentially USB connectors, and I find that just like the USB connectors on my computer, they have a fairly decent amount of friction and really need to be "tugged" in order to fall out, so I don't see an issue with the lack of a retention clip. I assume there are other reasons why he chose USB over RJ11.. In the world of computers, they certainly have far greater throughput, but whether this applies to or is even needed in an Apex environment I can't really say. My guess is it has to do with teh "daisy chaining" aspect of the Apex. Assuming he uses a variant of a standard USB controller in his devices, daisy chaining becomes an inherent feature. If had used RJ11, some sort of custom linking ASIC or chip would have had to be designed. Just my educated guess here..

805reef
04/12/2010, 11:08 AM
i would go with the aquabus connectors which provide power for the different modules any day over any rj connectors.

Ycore
04/12/2010, 12:46 PM
i would go with the aquabus connectors which provide power for the different modules any day over any rj connectors.

Totally forgot about that as well.. Not needing a seperate power plug for each aquabus device is pure win..

aquamanic
04/12/2010, 12:57 PM
Distance is another.

apjohnson
04/12/2010, 02:08 PM
So maybe it's just the ports on the device that I have that don't hold the USB cables in very well, but they seem to slide out with little to no pressure. I've had this happen a couple of times just arranging cables and doing cable management...I look over and the cable is out of the head unit and now my controller is without power. Now, I've had to mount a cable clamp to hold the USB cable to the wall, preventing this from happening again, but with the RJ11 connectors, they were much more solid and I never had to worry about that. Anyway, as I said in my original post, I'm sure there were advantages (a number have already been listed), but I for one, will miss the locking clip on the RJ11 connector.

--AJ

aquamanic
04/12/2010, 02:45 PM
You have multiple USB/Aquabus ports. Try some different ones or try some different USB cables. You might find one that fits a little tighter.

kenargo
04/12/2010, 04:31 PM
There is a small leaf in the male connector; I find that slighly bending them up makes the connection much more snug but do this with the Apex unpowered; I'm not the possibilities of a short but no sense in taking chances.

Jgoal55
04/12/2010, 10:23 PM
Totally forgot about that as well.. Not needing a seperate power plug for each aquabus device is pure win..

So If I have two EB8's I only need to plug one of them into the wall?????

That would be sweet!

kenargo
04/12/2010, 10:27 PM
So If I have two EB8's I only need to plug one of them into the wall?????

That would be sweet!

No, each EB8 gets power for outlets via the wall but the control electronics can get power from the buss; same as any expansion modules (PM1, PM2, PM3 WXM, etc).

Jgoal55
04/12/2010, 10:28 PM
ah got ya...makes sense..I figured as much.