PDA

View Full Version : Need Diagnosis on Perc clown

battlelurker
04/12/2010, 01:08 PM
I got a new clown 5 days ago. The first few days he didnt do much and I just suspected he was getting used to the tank.
He refuses to eat flakes, all he will eat is mysis. He seems to be eating enough. But whenever he isnt feeding, he just sits on the bottom of my tank in a corner.
Yesterday I gave him a short freshwater bath and some white mucus came off. He seems to be doing a little better now.
breathing seems normal and he isnt gasping. His coloration is fine.
Also, right after he eats, he poops, and his poop is white. Is this because of the mysis or possibly a parasite?
I have been reading for a few days and he seems to have symptoms of multiple things.
Im new to saltwater, and I need a little help.

Temp: 79 SG: 1.022 Nitrate :15-20 Nitrite: 0 Alk: 2.74 KH: 7.7 Calc: 370 (Too low?) PH:7.8 (Low?)

He is the only fish in the tank, along with a cleaner shrimp, and cuc.
I added him when my nitrates hit 0. should i have waited longer?

ub32965
04/12/2010, 01:23 PM
IMO i would raise your SG a to about 1.025, but do it slowly. Check your ammonia level.

WI reefer55
04/12/2010, 01:38 PM
Stop giving him baths unless you know what your trying to treat.

dont raise you SG

do check ammonia

your other prems are fine. Stabilty is more important

he still might just need time to adjust are there any other fish in the tank?

dont be quick to treat for anything untill you know whats goin on with him

Chris27
04/13/2010, 08:25 AM
Stop giving him baths unless you know what your trying to treat.

dont raise you SG

do check ammonia

your other prems are fine. Stabilty is more important

he still might just need time to adjust are there any other fish in the tank?

dont be quick to treat for anything untill you know whats goin on with him

+1

There is no need to raise salinity, most likely your salinity is lower then that of the store you got it, which will in no way harm your fish.

The mucus you talk about could have just been his slime coat coming off after being handled.

After ensuring ammonia is in check, verify you have well oxygenated water, which you will have if you have a protein skimmer and/or overflow to a sump.

If it's eating mysis, keep feeding the hell out of it, percs are picky eaters at first.

Keep tabs on it, and be prepared to remove it to QT if you start seeing signs of Brook or Crypt. At this point, it would be a good idea to get some formalin and copper on hand in case you need it. With Crypt you have some time, but Brook kills quick and needs to be addressed quickly.

Good Luck, and keep us updated.