PDA

View Full Version : Head going to explode

Jacuzzi
04/12/2010, 03:45 PM
So I moved my whole 40 gallon tank about 2 weeks ago and the stress on my fish has caused an ich outbreak. Since the fish inhabitants are only a blenny and a coral beauty with about 50 pounds of live rock they are of course very hard to catch without tearing out most of the LR. I just got everything set up so I really don't want to do that to my corals which are an assortment of zoas, hammers, kenya trees and some mushrooms.
So I go into the LFS to talk to my man and he says it can be done with fish vet NO ICH which is reef safe. Before putting it in I read all about ich and forums say no reef safe treatment will work completely. So I am confused as to where to go from here. What do I do? The thought of getting the fish out of there again is daunting and would require the removal of 90% of my rock and corals which is why my head is going to explode.

Andrew Henry
04/12/2010, 04:00 PM
You need to remove them to a QT tank and QT any new additions to prevent this. You'll also need to leave your display tank fallow for a minimum of 4 weeks so that the ich will die off.

muttley000
04/12/2010, 05:43 PM
You need to remove them to a QT tank and QT any new additions to prevent this. You'll also need to leave your display tank fallow for a minimum of 4 weeks so that the ich will die off.

Agreed but would go for 8 weeks. There is no in tank treatment that will work. Maybe look at fish traps, or even fishing them out with a barbless hook.

zachslow
04/12/2010, 06:19 PM
I disagree. While I fully respect trying to QT your fish and treat them with copper, I personally think you'll just stress them out more unless it's easy to catch them.

Feed heavily and add garlic for the next week or two. Try to not stress them out anymore then they already are. It works every time for me.

patsfan1130
04/12/2010, 07:14 PM
To get rid of your problem you need to remove the fish and treat.

a9reef
04/13/2010, 09:11 PM
From my experience cleaner shrimp work pretty well for ich, get a few cleaner shrimp

TampaReefer79
04/13/2010, 09:17 PM
To the OP, the corals are hardy enough to be moved - don't worry about them. Now if you don't want to move them because you don't FEEL LIKE moving them, then that's a different story. Catching and treating your fish is the only answer. Cleaner shrimp, cleaner wrasses, garlic etc will not cure your ich. Sorry. Good luck!

TampaReefer79
04/13/2010, 09:19 PM
P.S. 50lbs of rock is not that much to move out of the tank to catch the fish. It should be relatively easy to catch these 2 in a 40. Imagine doing this in a 500 gallon tank. ;) After imagining that scenario, you'd prbably think doing it to your 40 is cake. lol