PDA

View Full Version : was told to post in here for help

canadian_srt4
04/12/2010, 08:35 PM
Here is what I am fighting

http://www.winnipegheights.com/Kelly/green_tank.jpg

Here is the story:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16932289#post16932289

Free internet high-five or drink of your choice, once I have visted your city or if you ever come here, for the person who can solve this.

Big thanks to Shane Hoffman for hanging in there and helping me TONS so far.

returnofsid
04/12/2010, 08:55 PM
Phytoplankton bloom. Turn your lights off for a few days. Leave them totally off. The phyto bloom will die. Then, do a couple good sized water changes, over a few days. Make sure you aren't introducing nitrates or phosphates, with your source water.

bertoni
04/13/2010, 04:36 PM
The bloom might disappear on its own. If you own a mechanical filter, removing the phytoplankton with it might help remove nutrients from the system, and get the bloom over more rapidly. The same goes for more water changes.

If you're using tapwater, though, the problem might persist, since some tapwater has a fair nutrient load in it.

Percula9
04/13/2010, 07:08 PM
How long has this been going on? Remove the caulerpa from the sump. Personally I would remove the inhabitants to a separate holding tank and drain it down to zero and start again. I did notice you had high phosphates for a while, I believe this was the trigger for what ensued. Caulerpa can yellow the water if it goes sexual.

Boomer
04/13/2010, 10:33 PM
Or borrow a UV filter and they will be gone in a day or two. Looks like the dreaded "Green Water" plankton bloom to me. Is that tank getting any sun light ?

iamwrasseman
04/13/2010, 11:33 PM
uv is the way IMO or simply turn off the lights for a week then get on the water changes .

Metal Man 1221
04/13/2010, 11:37 PM
well i would be filling 2 liter bottles full of tank water and there you go, a phyto culture that you can either sell to other hobbyists or use for your self

if only i could get it to grow when i try!

sjm817
04/14/2010, 05:36 AM
Yeah, a UV will clear that up quickly.

canadian_srt4
04/14/2010, 10:30 PM
Well I've had the tank covered for going on 48hrs now, and have an overkill sized UV running on it for 24hrs now. Gonna wait until tomorrow night and see how things are coming along.

thanks for all the help guys/gals.