PDA

View Full Version : Any Floridians out there? Got a ? about RO water

nichthyes
04/12/2010, 11:24 PM
I've been having a HUGE algae problem lately and I'm beginning to wonder if its from the Publix Purified Water ("RO" water). Was curious if anybody has had any problems with it??

Billybeau1
04/13/2010, 07:00 AM
I'm not from Florida but I'm thinking the water still needs to be run through a di resin which may be your algae problem. Plan ro simply does not cut it in most cases.

Do you know what the tds is of the water you are using ?

nichthyes
04/13/2010, 05:16 PM
what is wrong with plain RO water? and no I do not kno the tds? how do i found that?

CRASHJT
04/13/2010, 05:32 PM
to the best of my knowledge publix purified water is not ro water

Billybeau1
04/14/2010, 06:51 AM
what is wrong with plain RO water? and no I do not kno the tds? how do i found that?

RO water can still contain some undesirables.

You measure tds with a tds meter. Total dissolved solids.

This article explains it better.

What is TDS
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/index.htm

and

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

hlsooner
04/14/2010, 08:26 AM
The RO water at Publix is RO missing the DI. I would be curious to see what my TDS meter reads in some of it. For reference, some Zephyrhills bottled water measured 70-80 TDS, my tap water measures 180 TDS, and my well maintained RO/DI filter always gives me 0 TDS for my tank.

bertoni
04/14/2010, 12:47 PM
If the input water is reasonable quality, and the filter is maintained properly, RO might be fine, but I'd be doing a lot of checking if I was using water from someone else's filter.

zachfishman
04/14/2010, 01:59 PM
Pretty sure Publix water is just run through carbon and (maybe) ozonated.

nichthyes
04/14/2010, 04:17 PM
it says "Purified by Reverse Osmosis - Serves Dionized Purposes" but I've gotten my salt water tested for phosphates and nitrates and they are ~20 and 0 respectively. Still I have crazy green hair algae. Also I've been running Chemi pure elite in my Mechanical filter for about 3 weeks. So unless its from the publix water I'm stumped as to where it is coming from

bertoni
04/14/2010, 05:02 PM
You could try measuring the water for nitrate. It's likely to be zero, and most saltwater test kits for that parameter will work in fresh water.

eric@tampa
04/14/2010, 07:15 PM
Even tho I work for Publix I would invest in a rodi,don't know about the water but once you get your own it will be less trips to the store and you have water that you know is pure for top-off and waterchanges.Check out the sponsor fourms Buckeye,BRS,IWA,Filter guys,ect

bmkj02
04/15/2010, 06:50 AM
Even tho I work for Publix I would invest in a rodi,don't know about the water but once you get your own it will be less trips to the store and you have water that you know is pure for top-off and waterchanges.Check out the sponsor fourms Buckeye,BRS,IWA,Filter guys,ect

+1 ^. I did the same thing for a couple of years running to the store or LFS for water. Gets tiresome and expensive after awhile. Better off investing in a 5 stage unit for $150. Over time it will pay off on its own and convience.

saltlife2010
04/15/2010, 09:36 PM
i got a PUR filter for the sink that removes all that crap

biocube386
04/15/2010, 10:21 PM
I use the spring water from walmart in gallon jugs and i have never had a problem with my 29galOT with algae bloom "knocks on wood"

zachfishman
04/16/2010, 06:42 AM
Does anyone know if RO systems perform differently on chlorinated water vs tap treated with chloramines? Occasionally I see carbon prefilters that are "chloramine rated" or something to that effect. Does this mean that the regular carbon prefilters do not remove chloramines effectively?

bertoni
04/16/2010, 11:07 AM
Any reasonably well done RO/DI filter should be fine for handling chloramines:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.php

MSS
04/16/2010, 11:18 AM
If you have to buy top off water from Publix, buy Crystal! For your water change you can go to Barrier Reef in Boca.

amheck
04/16/2010, 01:06 PM
I've always wondered what the TDS is of the Publix water, too. I've been using it for top off but thankfully recently got my RODI back up and working, so now I don't need to. I asked a similar question in the Tampa forum and nobody had an extat reading.

flfireman1
04/16/2010, 05:45 PM
If the input water is reasonable quality, and the filter is maintained properly, RO might be fine, but I'd be doing a lot of checking if I was using water from someone else's filter.

I have a tds meter on my RO/DI filter. I have one reading after leaving the RO membrane and one reading after leaving the DI. For the most part the reading is 6 after leaving the RO membrane and then 0 after passing thru the DI.

saltyliving
04/16/2010, 05:51 PM
florida water is nasty!! I only buy deerpark green top. TDS=0. And buy my salt water from a trusted LFS source that a test periodically.

nichthyes
04/20/2010, 04:15 PM
If you have to buy top off water from Publix, buy Crystal! For your water change you can go to Barrier Reef in Boca.

I switched to back to the Crystal Water cuz that's wut I used to use with not problem, then realized the publix water was 20 cents cheaper by the gallon. Made a lot of changes to my tank recently so not sure wut the culprit is yet. Might try publix water again cuz i've heard its ok. Funny u mention Barrier cuz that IS where I buy my water. If u ever see a newby in there asking a lot of questions and not buying anything, its prolly me haha

taku
06/07/2010, 04:15 PM
I've been having a HUGE algae problem lately and I'm beginning to wonder if its from the Publix Purified Water ("RO" water). Was curious if anybody has had any problems with it??

I live in Orlando on city water with a kent marine ro/di providing water and never have issues with algea blooms or anything on the rocks. Tank has been operating in my house since 2001.

Get yourself a used ro/di unit! You're not going to get rid of the tank, I can't even fathom the thought and I'm not even really big into my reef anymore (now that I have an outdoor koi pond/money pit). Just bite the bullet and get a used small ro/di unit, you won't regret the purchase!

hardiel
06/07/2010, 07:17 PM
I never bought water from Publix. A decent (5 or 6 stages) RO system is around $100 on fleebay.