PDA

View Full Version : Logistics of O.scyllarus burrow replacement

DanInSD
04/13/2010, 12:19 PM
OK, so we've determined (see previous threads) that my mature O. scyllarus (currently living in a 2 inch PVC burrow) could do with an upgrade to a 2.5 inch burrow. So now what?

1) There's the animal itself, who won't be too thrilled at all that this big hand is reaching in and removing her home.

2) I will need to excavate the sand bed to remove the old burrow and replace it. This may have significant impact on water quality.

Anyone with any first-hand (pun-intended!) experience with this? Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Koshmar
04/13/2010, 01:54 PM
Yes. When moving my rugosa's tubing/burrow, I slowly lifted the tube out of the sand, sat it on one side of the tank, and proceeded to lay the new tubing in. After I was done putting the new tubing in, I tilted the old tubing down until she fell out and removed the tubing. She promptly shot for the new burrow. Now you have a peacock so I would suggest using those vet gloves some people use when doing tank maintance. The big thing is to move slowly and give the animal a means to escape and let it constantly have shelter, that's why you keep the old tubing in the tank while putting in the new. In your case I would just leave the old tubing in and take it out when your peacock makes its new home in the new tubing. Also make sure its not about to molt. You might want to give it a snail to work on while you do the switch to distract it. Hope that helps.

hikarishadow
04/13/2010, 06:48 PM
Koshmar's advice sounds great!

You might consider having another person come stand watch on your peacock though. When I have to do serious work on Ally's tank, my boyfriend watches her so I can get the job done faster with less stress to her.

I would do a water change immediately afterward because you'll undoubtedly be stirring up a lot of crap from the sand. I would keep a bucket of fresh saltwater handy to do another waterchange if need be though. Watch your levels closely though... you may not need it.

I hope the process goes smoothly for you! Good luck!

chasekwe
04/13/2010, 08:39 PM
Really, 2.5"? I was led to believe a peacock could live it's entire life comfortably in 1.25-1.5" PVC.

DanInSD
04/14/2010, 10:44 AM
Well, she's somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5" wide. She literally couldn't fit in a 1.25" tube.

Dan

chasekwe
04/14/2010, 06:21 PM
Alright, thank Dan. I was going to use some spare 1.25" I have lying around. Guess I'll look into something larger, 2.5" is not a standard size pipe you can just go snag at Home Depot to my knowledge though... kinda a bother.

Thurge
04/15/2010, 08:38 AM
2.5" is in the electrical department. Its electrical conduite (or how ever that is spelled).

Fretfreak13
04/16/2010, 04:46 PM
I'll be doing the same with my Chigara soon. Hes outgornw his little home as well. Thanks for the info. =) Hope you keep your fingers!

DanInSD
04/16/2010, 05:57 PM
"Conduit". Dr. Roy suggests using the 90 degree smooth elbows and cutting the ends. That's what I did previously and it worked out great.

Dan

Guygettnby
04/17/2010, 07:42 AM
Really, 2.5"? I was led to believe a peacock could live it's entire life comfortably in 1.25-1.5" PVC.

that is incorrect. the mantis needs to be able to move freely and turn around in the burrow.

Guygettnby
04/17/2010, 07:48 AM
dan, the best way i found of swapping burrows without making too much of a mess is to connect to the pipes if you have the room and slowly feed the new pipe in as you take the old pipe outa the sand. if you have a smaller tank i doubt this will work though. i have also always used 1 90 and 1 45degree smooth end couplers on the ends of my burrows.

can you take a few pictures of your tank and how the burrow is in your tank?

Thurge
04/18/2010, 12:56 PM
Personally if I were trying this little manuver, I would get some end caps and trap the mantis into the burrow,then quick move it out of the way, place the new burrow in place (water change if necessary at this point), then put the old burrow in front of the new burrow and let the Peacock out.
More stressful to the mantis but less painful to the fingers, and personally its MY pain I would be more interesd in avoiding.

sjt6494
04/19/2010, 05:38 AM
uh forget pvc piping why don't you use live rock....its fun to actually watch them take some rock sand pick it up and move it..i think i might actually rearrange mine so he has to dig it out again...pvc is boring hell if you really want to be boring why dont you go to the lfs and get one of them little caves with two entrances they have for lizards.

DanInSD
04/19/2010, 12:09 PM
"feeding" new pipe, and caps, won't work because the ends of the tube are cut on a bias. I'll try a more straightforward replacement when my peacock recovers from her latest molt. Seems like this one stressed her out a lot more than most, she molted almost a week ago and just took food this morning.

I can take some shots of the tank, but I'm quite embarrassed, I've got an algae explosion and haven't gotten around doing much about it. Looks like a jungle in there.

Dan

gozermantis
04/19/2010, 03:35 PM
I can take some shots of the tank, but I'm quite embarrassed, I've got an algae explosion and haven't gotten around doing much about it. Looks like a jungle in there.

Dan

join the club lol

Koshmar
04/19/2010, 03:56 PM
Same, you should see my tanks after an exam week. ;)

DanInSD
04/19/2010, 04:20 PM
Well, I'll clean stuff out, do a water change, clean the filters, and leave the lights off. Hopefully in a week I can post something that won't embarrass me too much!

Regards,
Dan