PDA

View Full Version : anyone using seachem SALINITY reef salt??

wazzo
04/13/2010, 02:13 PM
i just switched to this brand about 3 weeks ago. was using d-d. 75 gal w/ 20 gal fuge has been running since november. i have 2 percs, 1 yellow tang & 1 cleaner shrimp. livestock has been about 6 weeks.
ever since i switched to this salt i have been getting bad glass growth(looks like diatoms). every day when i get home from work the glass is abnormaly filthy. i have done a few water changes since to try to clear up but i still have the same problem. the salt is the only thing i have changed since this has happened. does anyone use this salt? they talked it up well at the LFS.

all parameters check ok.
nitrite=0
nitrate=0
phosphate=0
ammonia=0
PH=8.3
salinity=1.025
temp=78-80
cal=420
alk=9

bertoni
04/13/2010, 04:26 PM
I haven't heard many reviews of this product, but it's likely okay. It might have some extra nutrients or trace elements that are causing the bloom, or it might be a coincidence. I'm not sure what I'd try first, but nutrient control likely would be my first step, although I'd consider switching salt products. Do you have any herbivorous snails? Do they show any signs of eating the film on the glass? Diatoms should be easy to control with snails.

wazzo
04/13/2010, 04:41 PM
i do have a small cleaner crew, a few turbo & nasirious snails(poor spelling). got some hermit crabs, all stay buisy. i try to be good about not overfeeding & the chato in my refuge is doing very well. i check phosphates regulary @ 0. i use salifert & seachem test kits.

bertoni
04/13/2010, 05:10 PM
The Nassarius don't eat algae. I might add a couple of cerith snails.

How much Chaetomorpha is harvested out of the refugium and how often?

wazzo
04/13/2010, 07:10 PM
i have not harvested any yet. when i bought at about the size of a baseball, now its a football in a 20gal. i bought the chaeto in feb.