PDA

View Full Version : Smaller sized species tank setup...

E.intheC
04/13/2010, 07:33 PM
I'm considering (another) small(ish) sized tank. I have most of the equipment already hanging around unused at the moment... and figured "hey, why not set up another tank? :D ...but I want to keep it as inexpensive and simple as possible.. so I'm Leaning toward either a FOWLR or a very low light coral/ non-photosynthetic tank.

So far, I'm going to use a 20 gallon high tank with 10 gallon sump and a smaller skimmer (possibly will rely on water changes only; haven't made up my mind yet). ...A few small powerheads and some live rock that I have lying around should do well.

Looking for some ideas/feedback fish wise. I want something that's 'a bit different', and I'd prefer it to be interesting on its own, and at the very least have a great bit of personality.

Think "Guinea Fowl Puffer" , but for a 20 gallon high tank :D (No, I'm not even considering that, but it'd be an awesome fish for a huge FOWLR tank)

So far I've kicked around (not combining the following): a Hawk fish, a smaller Toby puffer (might be too large), a really neat colored frog fish, possibly a smaller eel species.. maybe a few pipefish..

The possibilities are definitely out there. What do you guys/gals think? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance (especially for reading my ramblings ;))

AngelAddict
04/14/2010, 06:59 AM
How about a mantis shrimp?

jarrod13
04/14/2010, 07:36 AM
I think a frogfish or small scorpions like waspfish

E.intheC
04/14/2010, 08:17 AM
A mantis is not something I'm personally interested in, although they are very neat.

Right now I'm leaning toward an anglerfish of some sort. That's the leader right now.

namxas
04/14/2010, 08:59 AM
if you don't have the tank, and want an angler, i recommend a 20L as the fish will use lateral space, but not height.

as for the angler itself, a wartskin (Antennarius maculatus) is a perfect fish as they stay fairly small (about 4").

E.intheC
04/14/2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the tips. I have a somewhat limited space in the apartment but I'll see if I can get a 20 long. Might work..