PDA

View Full Version : LONG Algae hairs in tank>>>> need help getting rid of it..

reef master jon
04/14/2010, 09:33 AM
hello,

i need directions on getting rid of long algae hair in my tank... i us RO/DO water , and the type of lights i have are t5 54x8.. my Tank has been running for about two weeks and its an ugly site to see all of these long green looking hairs in my tank.. i have no live stock in my tank, i was just going the the cycling period...

all my levels seem fine...

im lost for words any help

i not going to turn on my lights until its all gone...

help please

autogirl
04/14/2010, 09:46 AM
the lights off arent going to help. I would put a fox face in there. you can scarp it out as well. and do a few small water changes.

Sugar Magnolia
04/14/2010, 09:49 AM
the lights off arent going to help. I would put a fox face in there. you can scarp it out as well. and do a few small water changes.

No! No, no, no! The tank is still cycling. Adding a fish is just dooming it to certain death. HA is a normal part of the cycle. If it's really out of hand, take the offending rocks out and give them a scrub in some tank water in a second bucket, then rinse in another bucket of tankwater. Once your cycle is complete, your clean up crew will take care of the remaining hair algae for you.

dankoos
04/14/2010, 09:53 AM
Once your tank is done cycling..if the hair is still there, do a 50% water change or more. I did this and within 24hrs most of it was dead or dying. Turbo snails also help.

My tiny copepods also LOVE it..they are all over it. Not sure if they are eating it or just hanging out in it.

Ever since my large water change, It has stayed in check.

reef master jon
04/14/2010, 10:08 AM
thanks for the quick responding..

i can take out some the my live rock but the rest are zipped tied to my back wall.. (diy rocks with foam)

what should i scrub it with?

thanks

Sugar Magnolia
04/14/2010, 10:38 AM
You definitely don't want to scrub it in the tank, so the zip tied rocks will have to wait for your clean up crew. An old toothbrush works well for scrubbing.

reef master jon
04/14/2010, 11:16 AM
k thanks

Burlingtonz
04/15/2010, 08:37 AM
Something also to concern and I have used in the past for young tank is a Lawnmoer Blenny. After your tank is cycled this little guy loves to eat the long hair algea which usually takes months to get rid of. Great personality on these little guys and not a huge bio-load on your tank.