PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing RR tank

cpittmx
04/14/2010, 12:12 PM
I have to pull my tank down to fit new sump into stand. I decided that since I had to drain tank anyway that I would take this opportunity to replace my tank with a new RR tank and ditch the HOB overflow.

I'm trying to decide on how I want to do the overflow beans/herbie/durso all of these decisions.

One way or another I'm assuming I want there to be valves incase I need to remove the stand pipe that I dont have to drain entire tank. I have read that the gate valves are more prone to corrosion and failing and that the ball valve is prefered, yet I have read on here that the the gate valve is the prefered valve. Any suggestions on this or plumbing a RR tank in general?

der_wille_zur_macht
04/14/2010, 05:27 PM
If your overflow box is water tight, you WON'T need to drain the whole tank to take out a standpipe contained within it.

Ball valves and gate valves - if high quality - will last forever on a marine tank. The real difference is in what they're designed for. Essentially, ball valves are good for shutoffs (i.e. to disconnect equipment), and gate valves are good for fine-pitched flow adjustments (i.e. on the drain from a skimmer).

If you're hard-plumbing with PVC, IMHO the best advice is simply to put ball valves and unions on both sides of anything you want to remove from the plumbing for service (i.e. a return pump).