PDA

View Full Version : Zero or Five Nitrates--what to believe

sbaddley
04/14/2010, 04:06 PM
I've been using a Hagen test kit since my tank was born. After my tank cycled (about 9 weeks ago), my nitrates have been a steady five (5). A few weeks ago, I purchased an API Reef Test Kit, which includes a nitrate test, and the test has consistently come back zero (0).

Which is correct? In the long run, does it really matter if the reading is consistent?

bertoni
04/14/2010, 04:58 PM
Either level likely is acceptable, but I suspect that the Hagen kit might have failed. When nitrate kits fail, they often seem to measure nitrate everywhere. It's hard to be sure, though. You could try getting a third opinion, I guess.

sbaddley
04/14/2010, 06:13 PM
Either level likely is acceptable, but I suspect that the Hagen kit might have failed. When nitrate kits fail, they often seem to measure nitrate everywhere. It's hard to be sure, though. You could try getting a third opinion, I guess.

Thanks

soulsigma
04/14/2010, 10:39 PM
I've been using a Hagen test kit since my tank was born. After my tank cycled (about 9 weeks ago), my nitrates have been a steady five (5). A few weeks ago, I purchased an API Reef Test Kit, which includes a nitrate test, and the test has consistently come back zero (0).

Which is correct? In the long run, does it really matter if the reading is consistent?

Take a water sample to your LFS and that will give you a confirmation back-up/third opinion.

Aquarist007
04/14/2010, 10:43 PM
I would get a Salifert test kit for nitrates. It is much more accurately or finely calibrated?

preef
04/14/2010, 10:49 PM
I would get a Salifert test kit for nitrates. It is much more accurately or finely calibrated?

+1

The API kit is really hard to read and is pretty course. The Salifert kit has a low level mode that allows you to read down to 0.1. The color chart is very easy to read.

Chris27
04/15/2010, 08:39 AM
Or, you could not worry about it, and be happy your nitrates aren't at 40 :sleep:

sbaddley
04/15/2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks all. I'll be happy that my Nitrates are not 40 and I'll get a Salifert kit.