PDA

View Full Version : How do I catch a pistol shrimp?

PDAlber
04/14/2010, 07:37 PM
I have an established 90 with a lot of rockwork. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to add a diamond watachman goby (twice), and a yellow watchman goby. All three went through QT, but disappeared after the first night in the display. I think the culprit is a pistol shrimp that I can hear, but have never seen. So, my question is, how do I catch a shrimp that I never see?

jarrett shark
04/14/2010, 08:57 PM
trap

mcginnisandrew
04/14/2010, 10:30 PM
you want to remove a pistol shrimp? You know those are the guys that form symbiotic relationships with those types of goby's. If it is a pistol shrimp that you didn't add, then you lucked out.

Are you thinking its a mantis shrimp?

ROB2005
04/14/2010, 10:33 PM
First and foremost, let's remember not all pistols pair with gobies. See if you can source where exactly in the tank its coming from and focus your efforts on trapping it.

PDAlber
04/15/2010, 06:25 AM
Obviously the symbiotic relationship didn't go so well for the yellow watchman goby. The problem is I've only seen it once, VERY briefly, after the lights went out. I can ofter HEAR it at night, though. What type of trap would I use?

kimber45
04/15/2010, 07:57 AM
so is it a pistol shrimp or your not sure?

if your not sure i put my money on a mantis shrimp.

PDAlber
04/15/2010, 09:19 AM
so is it a pistol shrimp or your not sure?

if your not sure i put my money on a mantis shrimp.

I'm quite sure its a pistol. I was able to see the claw in one of the rocks one night. Also, I've had pistols before, so I'm familiar with the loud noise they make. The last one I had I would see once in a while, though. And, I could feed him with a wand. Except for one brief glimpse, I never see this one. I'm not even sure how it got in there.

kimber45
04/15/2010, 10:10 AM
yep you can definitely identify them by that claw. lol

just funny about the watchman. they seem to partner up with a variety of pistols.

paraletho
04/16/2010, 03:03 PM
Where would one find a pistol shrimp trap or do you have to DIY it. Ive got a Tiger Pistol that is paired with an Orangespot Watchman. I can't have anything on the sandbed because he will bury it. He's outta here!