PDA

View Full Version : What refractometer?

WhoDat?
04/14/2010, 08:05 PM
With all the hype about the swing arm salinity meters being so bad I have decided to get a refractometer... which one should I get? Ebay has most of them for about $50 and a few for 200.... I want a good acurate one but don't think I need to spend $200.... which one do you have??

Agu
04/14/2010, 08:07 PM
Got mine from Premium Aquatics for about 40 bucks .... does the job for me.

Joel A
04/14/2010, 08:31 PM
I'm going to order my third refractometer in about 1 years time tomorrow.... the cheap ones work for a while, and trust me i don't abuse them.. but over time there is a little screw that allows you to bring down the plastic cover over the water on the prism.. and it gets all rusty/doesn't allow the plastic piece to fit over the prism properly. I assume it's because despite being in a case it's still stored in an environment where there is a lot of salt air.. but none the less it's ridiculous... my new one was hardly used and i'm already going to get a new one... because of this i'm going to order the model that has hinges/plastic covers (what ever the proper name is.. lol) that you can buy as replacements. It's an extra 30 bucks for this model, or something like that.. but if it gets rid of the aggravation it's worth it.. plus it comes with it's own light, so you don't need daylight/the light in the room to see the measurement easily.

Agu
04/14/2010, 08:38 PM
I'm going to order my third refractometer in about 1 years time tomorrow.... the cheap ones work for a while, and trust me i don't abuse them.. but over time there is a little screw that allows you to bring down the plastic cover over the water on the prism.. and it gets all rusty/doesn't allow the plastic piece to fit over the prism properly. I assume it's because despite being in a case it's still stored in an environment where there is a lot of salt air.. but none the less it's ridiculous... .

I had the same issue, Used a plastic covered paperclip to replace the hinge. That was about five years ago, a lot cheaper than replacing the refractometer :) .

rustyjames
04/14/2010, 08:39 PM
I bought mine off of ebay for 40 or 50 bucks, calibrated it with Randy's homemade solution. Found out my tank was running at 40 ppt with my Deep Six hydrometer reading 1.025. Only time will tell about the longevity.

Andrew Henry
04/14/2010, 08:48 PM
I use a Vertex refractometer and I'm happy with it, I think I paid $59.99 for it.

wloftin
04/14/2010, 11:27 PM
these look cool:

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/seawater-refractometer

BFG
04/15/2010, 12:05 AM
I have heard of a new refractometer being sold by D & D that actually measure true seawater instead.

cr500_af
04/15/2010, 12:08 AM
I use a cheap one, and find that I have to calibrate it often... it doesn't hold very well. Others in my reef club have had the same experience. The guys with the nicer ones are finding that they hold their calibration for a very long time.

Johnny C
04/15/2010, 12:27 AM
I use a cheap one, and find that I have to calibrate it often... it doesn't hold very well. Others in my reef club have had the same experience. The guys with the nicer ones are finding that they hold their calibration for a very long time.
Thank you... nobody ever believes me when I say that they are cheap for a reason. Personally, I love the BRS Refractometer. :)

cr500_af
04/15/2010, 01:09 AM
Thank you... nobody ever believes me when I say that they are cheap for a reason. Personally, I love the BRS Refractometer. :)

Another case of buy cheap, buy twice for me. I'm not an equipment snob, but I'll never buy the cheapest anything again if I have a choice.

dwd5813
04/15/2010, 03:15 AM
i got the portable refractometer from the drs and it's worked just fine for me. i calibrate it every so often but it's usually not very far off if at all.

dwd5813
04/15/2010, 03:16 AM
i got the portable refractometer from the drs and it's worked just fine for me. i calibrate it every so often but it's usually not very far off if at all.

Mounda
04/15/2010, 04:18 AM
The Premium aquatics refractometer is the RHS-10 Model, previously known as the Premium blue refractometer. PA sells them for $45 now but you can get the exact same RHS-10 model on ebay for $32 shipped.

BRS has a refractometer for $40 including pinpoint calibration fluid.

Saltysupply outlet had the vertex(RF-1) on sale for $33

Stick with ebay, just make sure it's the RHS-10.

Tajjo
04/15/2010, 08:17 AM
Check this out I'm debating on getting this refractometer.
http://www.aquacave.com/ma887-digital-brrefractometer-sg-forbr-saltwater-by-milwaukee-brinstruments-2924.html

WhoDat?
04/15/2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.... I think I am going to look into the D and D one.... where can I buy one???

keto
04/15/2010, 07:31 PM
Check this out I'm debating on getting this refractometer.
http://www.aquacave.com/ma887-digital-brrefractometer-sg-forbr-saltwater-by-milwaukee-brinstruments-2924.html

I have this and love it.....