PDA

View Full Version : whats needed for a 75

twintrades
04/15/2010, 08:16 AM
should a 75 gallon have a sump or could it just have Lr to filter ?

Also we onlyhave 60 lbs of lr would that work ? and we willl just keep our total fish load down.???

What would i need besides PH's and Lighting to make a 75 work ?

Trying to be cheap here :cool:

SPS_77493
04/15/2010, 08:26 AM
You can also try a cheap bak-pak protein skimmer or some other hang on type skimmers.

You don't have to have a sump but it does help to have one.

twintrades
04/15/2010, 08:52 AM
durrr i forgot ill have a skimmer also Not the best but its a start ( seaclone)

might do a sump but we'll just have to see waht the bank funds say.....:rolleye1:

dcombs44
04/15/2010, 11:38 AM
Can you give an idea of your goals with the tank?

What do you plan to keep in the tank? That will go a long way in deciding what type of lighting, flow, etc. that you'll need.

A sump can do a number of things. First, it hides equipment from the display. It also increases water volume, which can make your tank parameters less susceptible to swings. It will also aid in oxygenating the water as it increases gas exchange as the water enters the overflow, flows through the sump, and is returned to the display. It will also give you the opportunity to add a refugium. Refugiums can add additional surface area for bacteria (with sand and live rock), provide nutrient export (macroalgae), and provide a safehaven for micro fauna to flourish.

Depending on what your plans for the tank are, you can get away without a sump, but having one can increase water quality and options for the system.

anj1204
04/16/2010, 03:54 AM
Personally anything 55g and above should have a sump. Also you have to realize that you are getting into a hobby that is not cheap. What you have to realize is that you may go cheap now, but you can probably bet that you will be buying that same object again in the future and spending even more money in the long run. JMO.

capnfritz
04/16/2010, 04:42 AM
You can make a sump out of a rubbermaid tub or a 10g tank.
Question is if your DT is predrilled.
No you dont need a sump, but its a good way to go.

r0bin
04/16/2010, 08:46 PM
I have had a sumpless 75 for years. You def. do not have to have a sump. Of course their are pros and cons to everything. I prefer a low bioload so that may be why it works for me. I think with a low bioload fish are happier and display more normal behaviors. See my equipment below. In adition to my equipment list I have a Pinpoint PH Monitor and a Blue/Gold Blenny. I am going to add another small fish soon.