PDA

View Full Version : How often cleaning Koralia?

rgonzalez
04/15/2010, 09:17 AM
So I've had my Koralia 4 pumps for about 4 months now and they're covered in coralline algae. The questioin is, how long before I need to give them a vinegar bath? Or do I just clean the insides?

Shane Hoffman
04/15/2010, 10:38 AM
I clean mine every 6 months. I have a 5 gallon bucket with 3 gallons of vinegar in it. I have used the same 3 gallons for over a year. I keep a lid on the bucket when not in use. I have 3 K4s and 1 K3. I soak them for 12 to 24 hours then take a tooth brush to them. I have them completely disassembled. You dont have to let them soak as long as I do but if you dont you need a tougher brush and a bit more elbow grease. You will notice after you clean several things the vinegar looks very nasty. If it gets to bad I will grab another bucket to use and have someone hold a filter pad over it. I then pour the vinegar through the pad into the other bucket. This cleans all of the debris and muck out of the vinegar.

thegrun
04/15/2010, 10:46 AM
+1, 6 months is a good length of time. If the pump starts to have trouble starting back up, clean it sooner.

rgonzalez
04/15/2010, 01:53 PM
Cool - thanks!